AN asylum seeker who was arrested last month following a disturbance at an asylum centre in the city centre was granted bail after he appeared in court charged with a assaulting a member of the gardai.
The 35-year-old, who cannot be identified because of his status, is accused of assaulting the female garda, who is attached to Henry Street garda station, at Hanratty’s Hotel, Glentworth Street on March 27 last.
He is also charged under the provisions of the Public Order Act with engaging in threatening and abusive behaviour or language on the same date and with obstructing gardai as they attempted to arrest him.
The defendant first appeared before Limerick Court the day after the disturbance when he was charged with trespassing at Hanratty’s earlier on the same date.
The court was told when he was charged with the additional offences, the defendant told gardai his lawyer would speak for him in court.
Solicitor John Cullen told the court his client is in receipt of just €19 a week and, in the circumstances, an application for free legal aid was granted.
Mr Cullen said all of the charges relate to the one incident and he claimed there were “very questionable circumstances” which led to his client being arrested.
Therefore, he said he was seeking the disclosure of CCTV footage, which was acquired by investigating gardai.
Mr Cullen requested that he be furnished with all of the footage which was recorded at Hanratty’s between 10am and 9pm on the date of the alleged offences.
However, after being informed by Insp Seamus Ruane that gardai were first contacted at 1.30pm and that the defendant was arrested around an hour later, Judge Eugene O’Kelly said he was only ordering gardai to hand over any relevant footage which was recorded at between 1pm and 3pm on the day.
“This gives you considerable leeway at either end,” he told Mr Cullen.
The defendant, who was a resident at Hanratty’s at the time of the alleged offences, was remanded on continuing bail until June 5, next.