Janesboro advance to Munster Junior Cup semi-finals

Janesboro advance to Munster Junior Cup semi-finals

Janesboro booked their place in the Munster Junior Cup semi-finals while there were Premier Division wins for Carew Park and Regional Utd.



Janesboro 4 Killarney 1

Janesboro joined Moyross, St Michaels and Newmarket Celtic in the semi finals of the Munster Junior Cup with a comfortable win over Killarney Celtic XI at Pearse Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

The home side dominated the game throughout and while they were "gifted" a couple of their goals, in reality they could have doubled the scores if they had taken the chances presented.

Messrs O'Donoghue, Braddish and O'Hanlon will not be complaining however and will be glad the side were not overly exerted in preparation for next Sundays Munster Champions Cup Final against Newmarket Celtic.

It was evident even after three minutes that the visitors were in for a torrid time as John Tierney delivered a corner and the inrunning Tom Clarke headed inches over the bar with the defence in disarray.

Six minutes later 'Boro raced in front. Shane Clarke took a free kick and with the visitors expecting a shot on goal, the 'Boro front man cleverly delivered to brother Tom who headed back across goal where Lee O'Mara was on hand to bundle the ball over the line.

Three minutes later it got even worse for the visitors when John Tierney's free kick to the far post evaded everybody and bounced into the net.

Midway through the half keeper Kevin Moriarty made a fine save to deny Aaron Nunan a third goal but it proved temporary relief as 'Boro killed off the game with their next attack.

John Tierney beat tow players and racing away from goal turned and fired to the far corner. The keeper looked to have it covered but it evaded his grasp and ended in the back of the net.

Ten minutes from the break Nunan was again denied a goal by a fine save and from the resultant corner kick Shane Clarke volleyed just over. From the kick out the visitors conjured up their first threat to the home goal when Gary Keane raced through but a brave save from Stephen Walsh kept them at bay.

Boro made it 4-0 before the break when a long range effort from Tom Clarke was keeper Moriarty, under pressure from Shane Clarke, misjudged the flight of the ball and conceded. An injury to the keeper ended a forgettable afternoon, with striker Anthony O'Leary taking over between the posts.

O'Leary's first action saw him deny Mike Hogan in a one on one situation.

Tom Clarke just over and Danny Donnan, who was superb throughout, was wide by the narrowest margin.

To their credit Killarney kept up the fight and got the reward their efforts deserved on 72 minutes. Keane chased a ball over the defence and centred for Conan Randall who poked the ball past the advancing Walsh.

Again 'Boro squandered a number of good chances as the game petered out but in truth the tie was over by the break.

JANESBORO: Stephen Walsh; John Boyle; Lee O'Mara; Tom Clarke; Aidan Hurley; John Tierney; David Donnan; Steven Bradley; Aaron Nunan; Mike Hogan; Shane Clarke. Subs: Adrian Healy; Conor Lynch; Craig McMarlow



Crumlin 0 Nenagh AFC 2

A brilliant performance from Nenagh Under 17s saw them travel to Dublin to defeat hot favourites Crumlin FC 2-0 to book a place in the final of the FAI Under 17 Cup.

No one gave Nenagh a chance going into the tie against a crack Dublin outfit but sheer determination allied to plenty of skill saw the visitors pull off one of the shocks of the season.

Jonathan Delaney's men will now meet the winners of Villa FC and Wilton in the decider.

The game was a tense affair and ended scoreless on 90 minutes.

Two minutes into extra time a foul on Barry Coffey presented Jake Morris with a free kick 30 yards out and he struck the sweetest goal you are likely to see with an unstoppable effort to the roof of the net.

If the home side were rocked then they were rolling minutes after the restart when Kieran O'Brien's cross was handled in the area and Morris proved his worth slotting in the second to seal the win.

NENAGH AFC: Callan Scully; Casey Finn; Conor McCarty; Eoin Coffey; Jack Dunne; Dylan Sheehan; Jake Morris; Oisin O'Sullivan; Barry Coffey; Bryan McLoughney; Dan Burke. Subs not used: Kieran O'Brien



Fairview Rangers 1 Clonmel 3

Fairview had no such luck in the FAI Youth Cup on Saturday going down 3-1 to Clonmel Town in Tipperary.

The home side led 2-0 before David Hannon pulled on back but the home side added another to kill off the game.

In Youth League action Regional Utd put five past Geraldines courtesy of Lee Boyle, Nathan Kiely,

Nathan Walsh (2) and James Deery. Zak Mursal replied for Dines.

Kilmallock proved too strong for Coonagh Utd hitting scores through Colm O'Neill (3), Jack Barry (2), Anthony Barrett (2) and Rian Brady.



Fairview Rgs 1 Carew Park 2

Carew Park remain within two points of leaders Regional Utd, with two games less played, following a 2-1 win over fellow challengers Fairview Rgs at the Fairgreen on Sunday.

Many would have installed Fairview as favourites to take the spoils but they were rocked back on their heels within minutes when former favourite Mark McGrath struck to put the visitors in front.

A penalty from Kieran Hanlon had them two ahead by the break but despite having the majority of possession, Fairview were guilty of squandering a host of chances and were taught a lesson on the art of taking the chances presented by their opponents.

The home keeper was rarely called into action with the exception of taking the ball from his net on two occasions while at the other end veteran goalkeeper Gordon Stewart had an inspired outing, in part the cause of bad finishing by the homesters.

Stewart acted like a magnet for the ball as time and time again Fairview hit the ball straight at the legendary goalkeeper.

Once again Carew central defenders Mark Slattery and Richie Mullins were highly effective while in the middle of the park Adam Frahill and Tommy Culhane were always in the thick of the action.

For a bitterly disappointed Fairview side it is a game best forgotten. They promised much until reaching the final third where they wasted possession with careless passing.

Colm Heffernan and John Mullane were exceptions to the rule as they tried to keep their side going forward throughout.

The visitors had the perfect start to proceedings talking the lead within two minutes. Kieran Hanlon sprayed the ball wide for Timmy Culhane and while his shot was blocked by Adrian Walsh, the danger was not cleared and when the ball fell to McGrath on the edge of the area he curled a beauty to the top corner.

The home side had a great chance to level the tie on 13 minutes when Mullane collected an over hit corner kick and returned the ball to the danger zone where Paul Danaher met three yards from goal but his header was straight at a grateful Stewart.

The disappointment was compounded two minutes later when Grant was adjudged fouled in the area and from the resultant penalty kick Kieran Hanlon blasted the ball home.

Stewart was again in action midway through the half to tip a long range Heffernan shot over the top and minutes later Paudie Quinn held the ball up well to send the inrunning Dylan Murphy through on goal but he blazed over from the edge of the six yard box.

Fairview continued to press and on 35 minutes Mullins bravely blocked an shot from Quinn and from the resultant corner kick the Fairview top scorer's header rattled the crossbar.

As the half petered out Fairview missed another couple of chances with O'Connor blazing over the top and from Murphy's cross Doyle headed back across goal but Quinn was unable to get the required finishing touch.

The second half continued in the same vein with Carew mopping up whatever Fairview could throw at them.

Stewart denied Doyle at the font post and the keeper came out tops again when denying Davis Hannon from close range.

Midway through the half the Referee spotted an infraction as Fairview delivered a corner kick into the area and from the resultant spot kick AJ O'Connor reduced deficit to one.

As the home side chased the equaliser they again squandered good chances. Christy Doyle volleyed wide from Mullane's delivery and Jamie Enright cleared off the line in a goalmouth melee.

Mark Slattery bravely threw himself in the line of an O'Connor shot and then Quinn fired straight at Stewart from a good position.

Fairview had a great chance to snatch a pointy at the death when Hannon crossed to Quinn but summing up his day, the striker blazed over the top from eight yards.

FAIRVIEW RANGERS: Andrew Walsh; AJ O'Connor; Jonathan Hannafin; Brian Fitzgerald; Paul Danaher; Colm Heffernan; Dylan Murphy; John Mullane; Dean McNamara; Paudie Quinn; Christy Doyle. Subs: Christy Moran; David Hannon; Craig Madigan

CAREW PARK: Gordon Stewart; Jamie Enright; Jon Somers; Mark Slattery; Richie Mullins; Ross McCarthy; Adam Frahill; Tom Culhane; Jonathan Grant; Mark McGrath; Kieran Hanlon. Subs: Barry Dillon; Paul Quinn


Regional Utd 3 Geraldines 0

A bit like Leicester in the English Premiership, Regional maintain their lead in the Premier League against all predictions.

On Sunday they saw off the challenge of Geraldines to maintain a two lead over Carew Park.

The home side started brightly and took the lead after seven minutes when Ian Hughes played Mike Lyons through to slot the ball past James O'Connor in the 'Dines goal.

The visitors were dealt a hammer blow at the end of the first half when O'Connor could only parry Mike Lyons' free kick into the path of Kieran O'Connell who had the easy task of finishing from close range.

To their credit Geraldines never gave up the challenge but the home side struck a third in the second half to kill off the game. Mike Lyons was again involved when his free kick to the far post was headed back across goal by O'Connell and player manager showed great skill in finishing to the net for a rare rare goal.

REGIONAL UTD: Anthony Russell; Ian Hughes; Andrew Cowpar; David Cowpar; Brian O'Callaghan; Darren Butler; Mike Lyons; Paudie Walsh; Ruairi Casserly; Shane O'Doherty; Kieran O'Connell.

GERALDINES: James O'Connor; Danny O'Neill; Padraig Barron; Paul Campbell; Donie Curtin; Darren O'Sullivan; Eddie Lee; Christy O'Neill; Keith O'Connor; Keith McNicholas; James Cleary. Subs: Derek Hannon; Conor McCormack; Ian O'Donoghue


Mungret Reg 0 Moyross 0

After losing their crucial game with Summerville last weekend, Mungret showed good character when holding Moyross scoreless to earn what could prove a vital point come season's end.

Both teams had chances throughout but a draw was deemed a fair result.

MUNGRET REGIONAL: James Roche; Dan Clancy; Brian Cotter; Alan Connors; Ian Moore; Neil O'Callaghan; James Hall; Ger Burke; Rob Horgan; Marcus Finucane; Byron Fitzgerald. Subs: Gary Long; Joe Kennedy

MOYROSS: Michael O'Donoghue; Pat McCallig; James McNamara; Anthony Lee; Shane Guerin; Alex Purcell; Stephen Hannon; James Cleary; Adrian Power; Keith Colbert; Barry Quinn.


Ballynanty Rovers 0 Aisling Annacotty 0

Another game that failed to produce a goal was the clash of Balla and Aisling in Bateman Park.

With little at stake in the game it was not surprising that a share of the spoils would be the outcome.

BALLYNANTY ROVERS: Stephen McNamara; Dara Hughes; Des Fitzgerald; Dan Lucey; David Dunphy; Liam Brock; Robert Brock; Ronan Ryan; Andrew Leyden; Kevin Nolan; Derek Daly.

AISLING ANNACOTTY: Jimmy Fyffe; Michael Fitzgerald; Cian Hessian; Mybamba Ndiaye; Jack Cleary; Jamie Shinnors; Brian Butler; Evan Quinlan; Brian O'Donovan; Conor Burke; Evan Shine.