Warning issued after dog in Limerick eats poison wrapped in meat

Maria Flannery

Reporter:

Maria Flannery

Email:

maria.flannery@limerickleader.ie

Warning issued after dog in Limerick eats poison wrapped in meat

Bella looked as sad as she felt in the photograph posted to Facebook by Monaleen Vets

DOG-walkers are being warned to look out for poison while out with their pets, after a dog ingested rat poison in Limerick.

The poison was wrapped in meat and was eaten by the dog in the Castletroy area this Monday.

In a post on Facebook about the incident, Monaleen Vets warned pet owners to be vigilant.

"Poor Bella didn’t expect this when she went for her usual walk this morning. She ate some rat poison which had been wrapped in meat in Milford pitch (back of Troy Studios). Luckily her owner spotted she was eating something blue and rang us straight away," it said.

"We were able to induce vomiting due to her owner’s quick thinking, which got rid of the majority of the rat poison from her system. She will need medication for the next few weeks but she should make a full recovery.

"Please be careful when walking your pets!” it advised.

The post has been shared hundreds of times and has prompted outcry from members of the public.

Dozens of online commentators speculated under the post that the meat-wrapped poison was put down maliciously by somebody who may be inconvenienced or annoyed by dog fouling on paths.