Man was tasered and stabbed in 'unprovoked' attack at Limerick house party

Fintan Walsh


Fintan Walsh

Michael Hayes received four years for assaulting Dean Martin causing him harm in the early hours of April 2, 2016

Michael Hayes received four years for assaulting Dean Martin causing him harm in the early hours of April 2, 2016

A CONVICTED killer tasered and stabbed a man in a “vicious” and “violent” attack at an early morning house party in Prospect, Limerick Circuit Court recently heard. 

Michael Hayes, 39, who has an address at Galvone Road, Kennedy Park, received a four-year prison sentence after pleading guilty to “intentionally or recklessly” causing harm to Dean Martin in the early hours of April 2, 2016.

Hayes, who has several previous convictions, served a five-year sentence in 2005, for manslaughter.

Last Friday, the court heard that Mr Martin arrived at a house party in Prospect at 2.31am. There was “no interaction between the accused and the victim”.

“Without saying a word, [Hayes] stunned the victim with a taser and stuck a knife in the liver area,” the court heard.

The victim made a statement while he was in hospital, where he spent 11 days undergoing treatment.

The man, 26, sustained a laceration to his liver and was detained at University Hospital Limerick.

Hayes went on trial earlier this month after pleading guilty to the attack.

While Mr Martin told gardai that Hayes had tasered him and stabbed him in the hallway of the house, he said he did not see who had stabbed him in his direct evidence before the jury.

“I never seen who stabbed me,” he insisted later, adding he had been told by others that it was Michael Hayes who stabbed him in the abdomen.

Following legal argument, Mr Martin’s statement of complaint which was made at University Hospital Limerick the following day, was read to the jury. A video recording taken at Roxboro Road garda station was also played to the jury.

In the video recording, two detectives can be seen reading the statement of complaint to Mr Martin who stated: “Everything in there from start to finish is the truth.”

Before the trial resumed two weeks ago, Hayes was re-arraigned and pleaded guilty to the lesser charge of assault causing harm.

Prosecution counsel John O'Sullivan said this was acceptable to the State and the original Section 4 assault charge was withdrawn.

Judge Tom O’Donnell said that it was “noteworthy that no one person at the house was forthcoming with the gardai’s investigation”. 

Judge O'Donnell, who called it a "totally unprovoked...violent matter", imposed a four year prison sentence, backdated to July 14 last.