Limerick man Liam Keane charged with aggravated burglary

DPP directs trial in indictment

David Hurley

Reporter:

David Hurley

Email:

david.hurley@limerickleader.ie

Limerick man Liam Keane charged with aggravated burglary

Liam Keane is to be tried on indictment - PICTURE: Press 22

A Limerick city man who is accused of threatening a pregnant woman after forcing his way into her home is to stand trial on indictment, writes David Hurley.

Liam Keane, aged 32, of Singland Gardens, Ballysimon was previously charged with a number of offences relating to an incident in St Mary’s Park, on May 29, last.

Keane was initially refused bail following a garda objection but was later freed after he sought bail in the High Court.

During  a review of the case yesterday, Sergeant John Moloney said a file had been prepared and forwarded to the DPP who had directed that the initial charges be withdrawn.

Judge Marian O’Leary was told a new charge was being preferred and Detective Garda Michael Lambe gave evidence of formally charging the defendant with aggravated burglary under the provisions of Section 13 of the Criminal Justice Act.

The new charge alleges that Keane “did commit a burglary” at the house while in possession of a “weapon of offence” – namely a knife.

Sgt Moloney said the DPP has directed trial on indictment and he requested a lengthy adjournment to facilitate the preparation of a  book of evidence.

There was no objection to bail subject to the defendant complying the conditions previously imposed by the High Court.

These include signing on at his local garda station and obeying a nightly curfew. A €20,000 cash surety was previously lodged.

Judge O’Leary adjourned the matter to March 8, 2017. 

If convicted, Keane faces a maximum sentence of life imprisonment.