Limerick Desmond bow out of Kennedy Cup

Colm Kinsella


Colm Kinsella

Limerick Desmond bow out of Kennedy Cup

THE Limerick Desmond Schoolboy League’s excellent run in the 40th SFAI Kennedy Cup came to an end on Wednesday evening when the side suffered a 1-0 quarter-final defeat to the DDSL.

A goal just before half time from Dylan Duffy helped the Dubliners secure a hard-earned victory over the West Limerick side before a large attendance.

The Desmond League is assured of a top eight finish in the 32-team competition after claiming top spot in the group section with wins over the Midlands and Clare Leagues as well as a draw with local rivals the District League.

The Desmond will begin their quest for a fifth-place finish when facing the Wexford League in their Plate semi-final clash at 12.30pm on Thursday at UL.

In the Kennedy Cup semi-finals on Wednesday, the DDSL will take on the NDSL at 3pm, with Galway and Cork meeting in the second semi-final at 5pm.

Menawhile, the Limerick District Schoolboy League are guaranteed to finish between 25th and 28th place after their 2-1 Trophy quarter-final win over Carlow.

A goal from Pike Rovers’ Dean McNamara after 10 minutes had the Limerick city side 1-0 up at half-time. The LDSL doubled their lead 10 minutes after the break when Ethan O’Sullivan, also of Pike Rovers, scored at the second attempt when his initial penalty was saved.

Carlow pulled a goal back mid-way through the half, but the LDSL held on for their first win of the week.

The LDSL will take on the Inishowen League in the Trophy semi-final at 10.30am this Thursday.

Meanwhile, Limerick County will have to be satisfied for a 29th-32nd place finish after being edged out 5-3 by the Inishowen.

County led 2-1 at half-time with goals from the Charleville duo of Matthew Howard and Enda Sheedy.

A hat-trick from Inishowne centre forward Luke Rudden in a blistering six minute spell in the second half swung the tie in the Donegal side’s favour.

However, a third County goal from Fergal O’Connor, of Castle Utd, reduced the Inishowen lead to 4-3 before Jamie McDaid sealed victory for the Ulster side.

Limerick County will  now face West Waterford/East Cork in their latest play-off game at 10.30am on Thursday.