Limerick men charged with Pallasgreen murder

Anne Sheridan


Anne Sheridan

Gerard Hogan (left) and Dylan Hayes: charged with the murder of Shane Murphy this Tuesday

Gerard Hogan (left) and Dylan Hayes: charged with the murder of Shane Murphy

TWO Limerick men have today been charged with the murder of a man who died after he was stabbed more than 20 times in a “sustained and frenzied” attack at a house party in Pallasgreen.

Shane Murphy, 31, from Lee Estate in Limerick city, died after he received a number of stab wounds while attending a house party in Pallasgreen on April 30 last.

The victim was due to celebrate his 31st birthday a week after the party.

Two men were previously charged with assaulting the victim and producing a knife in the course of the alleged assault.

Both men appeared before Limerick District Court this Tuesday, where Sergeant Adrian Whelan applied to have the older charges withdrawn, and fresh murder charges brought.

Gerard Hogan, 32, of Raheen Square, Ballinacurra Weston, and Dylan Hayes, 20, who has an address at The Crescent, Kilteragh, Dooradoyle, are both charged with the murder of Mr Murphy at a house in The Grove, Pallasgreen, on April 30 last.

Sergeant Ted Riordan gave evidence of formally charging Dylan Hayes at Merchant’s Quay, at 10.56am this Tuesday.

“You are charging an innocent man,” was his reply after caution, the court heard.

Solicitor Sarah Ryan said she had no questions in relation to the arrest, charge and caution, and asked to be assigned to represent Mr Hayes.

Detective Sergeant Michael Reidy gave evidence of arresting and formally charging Gerard Hogan, who made no reply to the charge.

Referring to a previous delay with DPP directions in respect of the older charges, Mr Hogan’s solicitor John Devane asked the State comply with the law and produce the Book of Evidence within the approved period on the new charges.

Concerns had been expressed at an earlier court hearing this month about the delay in securing vital forensic evidence relating to the fatal stabbing.

Judge Marian O’Leary remanded both men in custody to appear before the same court again via video link this Wednesday.

Mr Hayes, when his case was concluded, attempted to make a desperate bid for freedom, despite being surrounded by gardai, who restrained him and brought him back into the cells.

“You dirty bastard ya,” he shouted as he was led away.

Detective Reidy previously told the court in a hearing this May that a preliminary report from State Pathologist, Professor Marie Cassidy showed Mr Murphy sustained 23 stab wounds - a number of which could have been fatal, and that according to witnesses the deceased man was subjected to a “sustained and frenzied” attack.