Limerick Coroners Court was told Daniel McCarthy (71) from Charleville died at Milford Hospice on the afternoon of April 3, last
A PENSIONER who died earlier this year developed lung cancer as a direct result of his exposure to asbestos while working 50 years ago, his inquest in Limerick was told.
Limerick Coroners Court was told Daniel McCarthy (71) from Charleville died at Milford Hospice on the afternoon of April 3, last.
Garda Ger Summerly said a garda investigation into his sudden death was launched at the request of Coroner John McNamara given his exposure to asbestos while working in the UK in the 1960s.
Mr McCarthy, the inquest heard, was admitted to Milford Hospice a fortnight before he died.
Consultant Pathologist, Dr Terézia László, told the inquest that a post mortem examination which was conducted at University Hospital Limerick showed Mr McCarthy was suffering from a number of conditions including heart disease, Type 2 diabetes and bronchopneumonia.
She confirmed that mass legions and fibrosis were also found during the examination and that there were tumours of both of his lungs.
Dr László said Mr McCarthy had also developed mesothelioma in Leoma which, she said, was directly related to his exposure to asbestos.
She said the cause of death was due to acute respiratory failure secondary to a malignant tumour.
When informed the pensioner had been exposed to asbestos while working in the construction industry over a five-year period, she said the intensity and level of exposure is a more relevant factor that the length of exposure.
Having considered the medical evidence, Mr McNamara said he was of the view that a verdict of Occupation Related Disease was appropriate in the circumstances.
“Without the asbestos, it would be regarded as natural causes. That changes because of his exposure to asbestos,” he said.
Returning a verdict, the jury of four men and two women agreed with the corner’s recommendation.
Condolences were expressed to members of Mr McCarthy’s family who were present.