Limerick man charged over threats faces trial in June 2017

David Hurley

Reporter:

David Hurley

Email:

david.hurley@limerickleader.ie

Limerick man charged over threats faces trial in June 2017

A TRIAL date has been set in the case of a Limerick man who is charged with threatening to kill his sister’s father-in-law.

Larry McCarthy Jnr, aged 38, who has an address at Towerlodge, Old Cork Road, is accused of threatening to kill or cause serious harm to Noel Moore during an incident at his home on the outskirts of the city on July 28, 2015.

The defendant is also accused of threatening to cause damage to Mr Moore’s home on the same date.

Mr McCarthy, who gardai allege is a senior figure in the Dundon-McCarthy criminal gang has been in custody since he first appeared in court a number of days after the alleged incidents.

Last December, the case was sent forward to the non-jury Special Criminal Court after the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) certified  the ordinary courts are inadequate to deal with the administration of justice in the case.

Following a preliminary hearing earlier this week, a trial date of June 19, 2017 was fixed by the Special Criminal Court.

Chief Superintendent David Sheahan gave evidence during a bail application as did Detetive Garda NIall Fitzgerald who said he had concerns the defendant will commit “further serious offences” if released.

Mr Justice Robert Eagar, presiding, sitting with Judge Sinead Ní Chulachain and Judge James Faughnan, said the court will deliver its decision regarding bail this Thursday.