Search

21 Feb 2026

Limerick couple 'knocked down and rebuilt' wall to fit new caravan behind home

Council takes legal action and seeks to have wall restored to original state

Limerick couple 'knocked down and rebuilt' wall to fit new caravan behind home

Limerick City and County Council has initiated proceedings against Michelle McNamara and Damien Collopy Jr arising from the unauthorised development at St Munchin's Street, St Mary’s Park in the city

A COUPLE who knocked a wall to enable them to install a new mobile home behind their house have been warned they must restore the wall to its original condition.

Limerick City and County Council has initiated proceedings against Michelle McNamara and Damien Collopy Jr arising from the unauthorised development at St Munchin's Street, St Mary’s Park in the city.

Solicitor Cathal Quirke, representing Ms McNamara and Mr Collopy, said his clients had prepared a sworn affidavit arguing that the ‘seven-year rule’ should apply to the mobile home.

Read next: Tragic death of Limerick nurse has ‘cast a huge shadow over the community’

Solicitor Will Leahy, representing the local authority,  told Judge Peter White that the council’s issue is with the boundary wall which, he explained, is located close to the caravan at the rear of the property.

He said that while a mobile home had been kept at the house for some time, it was subsequently replaced with a newer and larger model.

He added that in order to make it fit behind the house, the couple “knocked down the wall and rebuilt it” around the new mobile home.

Mr Leahy told Judge White that when the wall was altered, part of it was “put onto a council-owned green” adding: "It was admitted that the wall was removed and rebuilt. It would be the council's position that it would be restored."

Mr Quirke said his clients acknowledge that some of the council's concerns "are valid” and he confirmed they are willing to engage with the local authority.

"They want to firm up what needs to be done," he said.

Judge White adjourned the case until May 8 for a progress update.

To continue reading this article,
please subscribe and support local journalism!


Subscribing will allow you access to all of our premium content and archived articles.

Subscribe

To continue reading this article for FREE,
please kindly register and/or log in.


Registration is absolutely 100% FREE and will help us personalise your experience on our sites. You can also sign up to our carefully curated newsletter(s) to keep up to date with your latest local news!

Register / Login

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.