17 May 2022

Treaty United extend unbeaten run to six games with draw at Longford

Treaty United

Treaty United manager Tommy Barrett

TREATY United extended their unbeaten run in the SSE Airtricity League First Division to six games after securing a 0-0 draw away to Longford Town at Bishopsgate on Saturday evening.

The result sees Treaty United remain in fifth place in the First Division table, one point behind fourth-placed Waterford FC although Tommy Barrett's charges have a game in hand on their Munster rivals.

Treaty are also now five points clear of sixth-placed Wexford FC following the hard fought draw in their first ever meeting with Longford Town who were relegated from the Premier Division at the end of last season.

It was a game of limited chances with defences holding the upperhand for long stages.

Team manager Tommy Barrett made a number of changes to his Treaty matchday squad for the trip to Longford.

Sean Guerins and Matt Keane come into Treaty's starting XI, while Conor Melody, Joe Gorman and Adam Gallagher returned to the matchday squad on the substitutes' bench.

Meanwhile, Stephen Christopher, Joel Coustrain and Conor Winn missed out on the game.

Treaty were dealt a blow after just five minutes of the contest when Mark Walsh was forced off with an injury. He was replaced by Joe Gorman.

Both sides created a handful of half chances during the opening half, but the game remained scoreless at half-time.

For Treaty, Enda Curran latched onto a loose ball on 37 minutes and cleverly beat a Longford defender, but his shot was saved by 'Town 'keeper Dennison.

Following an excellent passage of play three minutes later from the home side, Longford whipped the ball into the area, but Treaty defender Charlie Fleming cleared it out for a corner.

Both sides continued to search for the game's opening goal as the second half began after that scoreless opening period.

Fifteen minutes after the restart, Treaty keeper Jack Brady did well to stop a well struck effort from Longford's Aaron Robinson before Sam Verdon was denied with his follow-up attempt.

At the other end of the pitch, with 17 minutes remaining, Treaty United substitute Dean George went on a run down the right flank, before crossing for Willie Armshaw. However, his volley didn't have enough on it to open the scoring.

Treaty boss Barrett sprung Conor Melody off the substitutes' bench in the 78th minute for his first appearance since early March due to a spell out with injury.

For third-placed Longford, Robinson fired over the crossbar with a half volley after Verdon help create the opening on the 80th minute.

Then, with the game ticking into stoppage time, Treaty earned a free in a dangerous position after Armshaw was fouled. However, Tonw keeper Dennison did well to prevent the visitors from going ahead.

The full-time whistle sounded soon after as Treaty picked up a precious point on the road.

LONGFORD TOWN: Luke Dennison, Shane Elworthy, Dylan Barnett, Aaron Robinson, Darren Craven, Sam Verdon (Capt), Eric Molloy, Michael Barker, Karl Chambers (Joe Power 74), Dean McMenamy, Ben Lynch.

TREATY UNITED: Jack Brady, Charlie Fleming, Marc Ludden, Sean Guerins, Callum McNamara, Joe Collins (Willie Armshaw 64), Lee Devitt, Enda Curran (Dean George 64), Matt Keane (Conor Melody 78), Mark Walsh, Jack Lynch (Capt).

REFEREE: David Connolly

To continue reading this article for FREE,
please kindly register and/or log in.

Registration is absolutely 100% FREE and will help us personalise your experience on our sites. You can also sign up to our carefully curated newsletter(s) to keep up to date with your latest local news!

Register / Login

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.