All-Ireland final heartbreak for Limerick's Cappamore

John Redington in Killeedy


John Redington in Killeedy


All-Ireland final heartbreak for Limerick's Cappamore

Action from today's battle in Killedy. Picture: Dermot Lynch

There was no crock of gold at the end of the rainbow in showery Raheenagh on Saturday as the Limerick champions stumbled at the final hurdle of the All-Ireland junior B hurling championship to Wexford’s Oylegate-Glenbrien.

Final Score - OYLEGATE-GLENBRIEN (Wexford) 1-15 CAPPAMORE (Limerick) 0-11

Conceding the game’s only goal eight minutes before the break, Cappamore were held at bay after the break as the Leinstermen used a dominant midfield and accuracy from play up front to overcome opponents who depended heavily on Liam Creamer’s free-taking for their scores.

The Limerick side had one chance early in the second half to pull the gap back to two but their failing in front of goal continued to haunt them as they went through their fourth game in Munster and All-Ireland competition without raising a green flag.

Without that breakthrough, the Slaneysiders were able to soak up their efforts, open up in the closing minutes to put the seal on their victory and bring the Killeedy Perpetual Cup back to the Model County for the first time.

Both sides took their time getting into gear on the yielding surface and struggled to make the openings until Oylegate took the lead off Conor Nolan. Creamer replied with a free but the Leinstermen used the wind to move ahead again as Barry Dunne’s free and Nolan found their target.

Having absorbed the pressure, Cappamore enjoyed their best spell as another Creamer free and Jamie McCarthy, sniping in from the left to shave the top side of the crossbar, drew them level on the quarter mark.

Drawing on their senior  experience and driven forward by former county man Marty Kelly, the Model club regained control and, after points from Kelly’s huge free and Joe Dunne, Eoin O’Mahoney whipped to the net after Patrick Cullen’s pull had been blocked.

Creamer replied with a free to keep the Slieve Felim men in touch. However, a Kelly strike from half-way a minute into injury time restored Oylegate’s margin of five at 1-6 to 0-4. The Wexford team’s pressure prevented Cappamore from exploiting the breeze on the restart and Barry Dunne struck before he was answered by a Creamer free.

The Limerick champions had their big chance when McCarthy bore down on goals but his shot was saved and the follow-up was bundled off the line. A free resulted which Creamer converted but Nolan hit back and Dunne followed with a free.

Although Creamer converted a ‘65’ and a free, the gap was never threatened. Sub Pierce Murphy kicked over after his goal chance was hooked, Dunne punished a foul and Jack Walsh kicked over at the other end before Creamer and Dunne traded frees.

Darragh O’Dwyer’s strike was Cappamore’s last hurrah as Oylegate closed with a flourish. O’Mahoney, Dunne’s free and O’Mahoney again signalled the celebrations as the Slieve Felim side were reduced to fourteen with Anthony Foley’s red card.

SCORERS, OYLEGATE-GLENBRIEN: Barry Dunne 0-6 (5 frees), Eoin O’Mahoney 1-2, Conor Nolan 0-3, Marty Kelly 0-2 (1 free), Joe Dunne, Pierce Murphy 0-1 each;

CAPPAMORE: Liam Creamer 0-8 (7 frees, 1 ‘65’), Jamie McCarthy, Jack Walsh, Darragh O’Dwyer 0-1 each.

OYLEGATE-GLENBRIEN: Eddie Mernagh; Aidan Murphy, Pádraig O’Connor, Evan Kelly; Peter Rowley, Niall Parker, Garry Conroy; Marty Kelly, Anthony Doyle; Conor Nolan, Patrick Cullen, Barry Dunne; Tomás Cosgrave, Eoin O’Mahoney, Joe Dunne. SUBS: Pierce Murphy for Patrick Cullen \935 minutes), Brian Doran for Joe Dunne (injured 52 minutes).

CAPPAMORE: Shane Slattery; Conor Fitzgibbon, Séamus Lane, Kevin Doyle; Mark Tracey, Jack Sheehan, Paddy Ryan; Anthony Foley, Conor O’Brien; Kevin Ryan, Jack Walsh, Liam Creamer; Jamie McCarthy, Éamonn Moloney, Donal O’Mahoney. SUBS: Matthew Ryan for Donal O’Mahoney (38 minutes), Darragh O’Dwyer for Mark Tracey (48 minutes).

REFEREE: Damien Fox (Clare).