Adare have no answer to Kenmare power in Munster final

Jerome O'Connell


Jerome O'Connell


Adare have no answer to Kenmare power in Munster final

DEFEAT was Adare’s lot in the Munster club IFC final this Sunday when they were powerless to stop a talented Kenmare side.

The final score in Mallow was 1-20 to 1-8.

Kenmare were 1-11 to 0-5 ahead at half time and looked every bit the 1/16 favourites against an Adare side largely backed by their U-21s.

Indeed the reigning Limerick Premier U-21 football champions play Newcastle West in the county semi final next weekend. 

Adare were brave but had no answer to a talented Kenmare side that entered the game as hit favourites for the All Ireland title. They now play Westport in January’s semi final.

Adare did have the two opening scores of the game – both Hugh Bourke frees.

Six unanswered points followed for Kenmare – all from play with their star trio of Stephen O’Brien, Paul O’Connor and Sean O’Shea leading the way.

Adare’s first score from play came in the 14th minute when Mark Connolly won great possession before finishing well.

The lead for the Kerry side was soon 0-9 to 0-3 before another Bourke free eased the defensive woe for Adare.

But then came the first half goal. Adare goalkeeper saved brilliantly from David Hallissey in the sixth minute but his 24th minute short kick-out was intercepted and Sean O’Shea blasted high to the net for a 1-10 to 0-4 lead.

Hugh Bourke added a point from play to his three frees, but Adare were nine points down at the break.

In the second half Adare were never able to ask serious questions of Kenmare.

It was 1-16 to 0-6 after 10-minutes of the second half with Jack English getting the Adare score from play.

Kenmare then went 15-minutes without a score.

The Adare goal came in the 53rd minute when Mark Connolly found the net from close range after a quick free from Hugh Bourke.

Paul Maher added a point from play and it was 1-16 to 1-8 with Kenmare playing the final five minutes with 14-men after a red card for Denis Cronin.

Kenmare captain Stephen O’Brien sealed their impressive win with late points.

SCORERS: Adare: Hugh Bourke 0-5 (4frees), Mark Connolly 1-1, Jack English and Paul Maher 0-1 each. Kenmare: Sean O’Sean 1-5, Stephen O’Brien 0-7, Paul O’Connor 0-5 (2frees), Patrick O’Shea (free), Colm O’Sullivan and Brian O’Sullivan 0-1 each. 

ADARE: Brendan Carmody; Oran Collins, Andrew O’Connell, Neil Mulvihill; Shane Doherty, David Connolly, Diarmuid Sexton; Jeff Lohan, Jack English; Eoin Ryan, Mike Lyons, Davy Lyons; Hugh Bourke, Shane Costello, Mark Connolly. Subs: Robbie Bourke for Eoin Ryan (h-t), Charlie McCarthy for Mikey Lyons, inj (32mins), Paul Maher for Neil Mulvihill (46mins), Eoghan Costello for Oran Collins (51mins), John Fitzgibbon for Shane Costello (53mins), Bill Supple for Jeff Lohan (55mins).

KENMARE: Kieran Fitzgibbon; Stephen O’Shea, Tommy O’Sullivan, Dara Crowley; Shane O’Sullivan, Dara O’Shea, Mark Crowley; John Mark Foley, David Hallissey; Sean O’Leary, Stephen O’Brien, Kevin O’Sullivan; Paul O’Connor, Sean O’Shea, Patrick O’Shea. Subs: Alan O’Leary for Kevin O’Sullivan, b-c (31mins), Donal O’Connor for Patrick O’Shea (36mins), Shane Dalton for John Mark Foley (46mins), Denis Cronin for Mark Crowley (46mins), Colm O’Sullivan for David Hallissey (50mins), Brian O’Sullivan for Sean O’Shea (54mins).

REFEREE: Alan Kissane (Waterford).