Ballingarry fly the Desmond League flag in Munster Junior Cup

Ballingarry fly the Desmond League flag in Munster Junior Cup

Frank Nelligan rounds up all of last weekend’s action involving the Limerick Desmond League teams.


Ballingarry will be Limerick Desmond’s sole representatives in the last 16 of the Munster Junior Cup after winning 3-0 at home to Tipperary South Division 1 side, Galbally, last Sunday afternoon. Richard O’Kelly scored the only goal of the first-half, while Denis O’Kelly and Eoin Ryan both got on the scoresheet after the interval.


The ten-point lead of Abbeyfeale United, who didn’t play on Sunday, was reduced to seven points by Newcastle West Rovers who won 5-0 at home to Kildimo United.

Cormac Kinehan bagged a brace and the other goals were scored by Marty Madden, Seoirse Joyce and Shane Stack. Rovers have two games in hand on Abbeyfeale and the pair will meet in Woodfield Estate in the last game of the season.

Newcastle West AFC also had a big victory, putting six of the best past Killeaney who failed to reply. While all of the goals were out of the top drawer, pride of place must go to Tony Quaid’s two screamers from 25 yards. The other scorers were Liam O’Shaughnessy (2), William Kavanagh and Sean Cronin.

Rathkeale positioned themselves for a potential challenge by coming from behind after 13 minutes to win 2-1 away to Glin Rovers with second-half goals from Pa Ahern.


Athea United are four points clear in Division 1 after winning 3-0 at home to bottom-of-the-table Rockhill Rovers.

Darren Murphy scored the only goal of the first-half and he headed home a 75th minute cross from Martin Chawke for the second. Substitute and player-manager John Cotter completed the scoring in the last minute.

Glantine moved into joint second with Carrig Celtic by winning 2-0 away to Rathkeale B with a brace from livewire Youths player, Brian Sheahan.

Feenagh are in fourth after their 3-1 victory away to Pallaskenry. The visitors led 1-0 at half-time through a Ronan Gilbourne penalty and it was also from the penalty spot that Anthony McCormack equalised on the hour. Tom O’Sullivan restored Feenagh’s lead five minutes later and he continued to influence the game by winning the 75th minute penalty that Gilbourne converted.

Thomas Cahill, David Moriarty and Rob Cummins got their reign as the new management team of Abbeyfeale United B off to a great start when second-half goals from Paudie Smith and Nigel O’Connor secured a 2-1 victory away to Breska Rovers.


Three of the games in Division 2 fell victim to the weather, giving AK United the opportunity to regain top spot and they made the most of it by securing a hard-earned 2-1 win at home to Newcastle West Rovers B.

Kieran Guinea had Rovers ahead at the break and Niall Maher equalised after a great passing move, which is how it remained until Davy Wall won it for AK with an 88th minute free-kick.


Knockaderry moved into a share of top spot in Division 3 with Ballingarry B after earning a 1-1 draw away to Newcastle West B, for whom Jason Cummins opened the scoring.

The visitors were denied a late winner when Michael Cunningham saved a penalty.

Glin Rovers B stayed in title contention by winning 5-0 away to Feenagh B, four of the goals coming in the second-half.


Askeaton’s involvement in the FAI Youths Cup came to an end when they lost 4-0 away to a very good Ringmahon Rangers side.

The Cork Youths League title contenders opened the scoring in the first minute, scored the second in the 20th minute and the third just before half-time. Askeaton gave a better account of themselves in the second-half but were unable to prevent Ringmahon scoring a fourth in the 75th minute.


Rathkeale joined Askeaton at the top of the Youths Division 1 table when a goal midway through the second-half by Aaron Smith earned a 1-0 victory in a low-quality game away to Abbeyfeale United.

GB Rovers made it a three-way tie at the top by recording a surprise 5-0 victory away to Newcastle West Rovers. Eoin O’Connor netted a hat-trick, with Jack Cregan bagging a brace.


Athea United and Broadford United continue to lead the way in Youths Division 2 after they both kept clean sheets in home victories on Saturday against Carrig Celtic and Shannonside, respectively.

Athea’s three goals were scored by John Sexton, Milan Williams and Andy Ahern, while Broadford’s Timmy Larkin scored in the 85th minute to add to a goal midway through the first-half.

The game between Glantine and Pallaskenry produced a ten-goal thriller. The visitors led 3-2 at half-time and it was 4-4 with just eight minutes remaining but then Pallaskenry won it with two late goals. Aaron Murphy scored a hat-trick for Glantine and their other goal was scored by Brian Sheahan.