Search

19 Feb 2026

‘Moving towards’ a listing date for inquest into Jock Davison’s death

‘Moving towards’ a listing date for inquest into Jock Davison’s death

The Coroner’s Office is “moving towards” setting a date for an inquest into the death of a former IRA commander, a preliminary hearing has heard.

Jock Davison, 47, was shot in the Markets area of Belfast as he walked to work in May 2015.

He had been involved in a personal dispute with other republicans.

Three months after he was killed, former IRA man Kevin McGuigan was murdered in a shooting in nearby Short Strand.

An inquest into Mr Davison’s death hit a number of delays, including over the preparation of police files for the hearings.

The PSNI is seeking to withhold certain sensitive files from the inquest on the grounds of public interest immunity (PII).

A preliminary hearing was held on Thursday morning.

Barrister John Rafferty, acting for the PSNI, said material has been provided to Northern Ireland Office (NIO).

Joseph Aiken, acting for the Secretary of State Hilary Benn, confirmed the material had been supplied to the NIO and is set to be reviewed.

He proposed a PII hearing to take place at the start of September.

“There is also security service material which is being addressed at same time, certificates will emerge in respect of both sets of material,” he said.

“We could suggest an earlier date but the danger with that is we end up over-promising and under delivering, and I’d rather avoid that in the circumstances.”

Counsel to the Coroner Philip Henry said they will liaise with parties in relation to dates.

Michael Brentnall, acting for Mr Davison’s family, said they would appreciate more progress.

“I appreciate that it is an arduous task however we would rather seek that it is progressed for the family’s sake, and next of kin at a quicker pace if it is possible,” he said.

Coroner McGurgan responded: “That is duly noted.

“I’m all for trying to get matters across the line sooner rather than later, but I would rather give a longer lead-in time and deliver.

“There are a lot of plates spinning that will affect between now and the end of June.”

Meanwhile, Mr Henry noted some outstanding material from the family, adding: “if we’re moving towards a listing date, there will be a greater degree of pressure exerted in due course in relation to that”.

Another review hearing is to take place in June.

To continue reading this article,
please subscribe and support local journalism!


Subscribing will allow you access to all of our premium content and archived articles.

Subscribe

To continue reading this article for FREE,
please kindly register and/or log in.


Registration is absolutely 100% FREE and will help us personalise your experience on our sites. You can also sign up to our carefully curated newsletter(s) to keep up to date with your latest local news!

Register / Login

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.