Joey Carbery in action against Exeter in Round One
Pool 2 - Munster Rugby v Exeter Chiefs
Date: Saturday 19 January
Venue: Thomond Park
Referee: Jérome Garcès (Fra)
Assistant Referee 1: Ludovic Cayre (Fra)
Assistant Referee 2: Jonathan Dufort (Fra)
TMO: Eric Briquet (Fra)
Citing Commissioner: Dennis Jones (Wal)
TV: Virgin Media / Channel 4 / BT Sport
• This will be the second meeting between Munster and the Exeter Chiefs, following the 10-10 draw at Sandy Park in Round 1.
• A win for Munster will guarantee them a place in the quarter-finals for the 18the time, however, if Exeter upset the odds and finish the pool level on match points with the 2006 and 2008 champions, then they will advance to the knockout stage on the basis of the head-to-head matches between the clubs.
• Munster have won their last 11 home games in the tournament - Leicester Tigers’ 31-19 success in December 2015 was the last defeat at Thomond Park.
• Exeter have lost all three of their games in Europe’s top flight in Ireland, against Leinster twice and Ulster once.
• Exeter have won their last two Heineken Champions Cup games, but have never won three on the bounce in the tournament.
• Munster’s line out success rate of 75% is the lowest in the tournament this season, however, their tackle success rate of 90% is the best.
• Exeter have averaged more time in possession than any other side in the competition to date this season (21m 50s).
• Tadhg Beirne (11) has won the most turnovers this season (level with Thomas Young of Wasps).
• Joey Carbery is the top points scorer this season with 59 points from three tries, 10 conversions and eight penalties.
• Only Cheslin Kolbe (39) of Toulouse has beaten more defenders than the Exeter Chiefs duo of Santiago Cordero (34) and Jack Nowell (23).
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.