Understrength Limerick FC thumped by Waterford ahead of crucial relegation play-off

Leader Reporter


Leader Reporter



Understrength Limerick FC thumped by Waterford ahead of crucial relegation play-off

Limerick FC suffered a 4-1 defeat to Waterford at the RSC in their final regular season fixture in the Premier Division on Friday night

LIMERICK FC’s final regular season fixture before next week’s crucial SSE Airtricity League Premier Division relegation play-off ended in a 4-1 thumping at the hands of Waterford FC at the RSC on Friday night.

Betting on the game in Waterford had been suspended by two bookmaker firms prior to kick-off as a result of ‘irregular betting patterns.’

Limerick were as big as 33/1 with some bookies’ to score an away win, but the odds were slashed dramatically into as low as 7/2 with a flurry of bets backing the visitors to leave with all three points.

More than €70,000 had been matched on the game, well above the average for an SSE Airtricity League Premier Division fixture.

As a result, Paddy Power and BoyleSports suspended betting on the game. However, those who backed Limerick to win the Munster derby were left disappointed and out of pocket as Europe-bound Waterford scored a comfortable win.

Limerick’s focus now fully switches to the first leg of their crucial SSE Airtricity League Premier Division relegation play-off with Finn Harps at Finn Park on Bank Holiday Monday evening at 7.45pm.

The second leg takes place at the Markets Field on Friday, November 2, also 7.45pm;

Waterford took the lead after three minutes against an understrength Limerick side when Dessie Hutchinson converted from the penalty spot after Limerick’s Barry Maguire had fouled John Martin.

To their credit, the visitors hit back quickly and drew level after 10 minutes when Colm Walsh-O’Loghlen scored a smashing goal after an excellent move down the right.

The see-saw nature of the game continued just two minutes later when Waterford regained the lead when Garry Comerford powered home a head, following Dessie Hutchinson’s free-kick.

Europe-bound Waterford wrapped up the three points in the second half with goals from Dessie Hutchinson, off a deflected free-kick on 63 minutes, and John Martin who added the home side’s fourth goal in the 72nd minute.

WATERFORD FC: Matthew Connor, Noe Baba, Dylan Barnett, Garry Comerford, David Webster, Bastien Hery (Paul Keegan 62), Dessie Hutchinson, Dean O’Halloran (Gavan Holohan 68), Ismahil Akinade, Cory Galvin (Derek Daly 46), John Martin. 

LIMERICK FC: Jack Brady, Killian Cantwell (Karl O’Sullivan 59), Colman Kennedy, Tomas O’Connor, Ger Barry, Aaron Fitzgerald, Barry Maguire (Cian Coleman 46), Darren Murphy, Connor Ellis (Danny Morrissey 68), Adam Foley, Colm Walsh O’Loghlen.

REFEREE: Eoghan O’Shea