Markets Field plays host to Munster Senior Cup Final

Colm Kinsella, Rugby Correspondent


Colm Kinsella, Rugby Correspondent


Markets Field plays host to Munster Senior Cup Final

Action from UL Bohemian RFC and Garryowen FC when the two sides met in the Division 1A relegation play off last season at Dooradoyle. The two sides meet again this Friday night at the Markets Field

GARRYOWEN and UL-Bohemian clash in the Bank of Ireland Munster Senior Cup final for the first time in 92 years at the Markets Field on Friday, 7.30pm. 

Garryowen have won the Munster Senior Cup on 38 occasions – with the Light Blues most recent final success coming in 2012 – while Friday night’s final opponents UL-Bohs have four titles to their credit, the most recent of which came in 1962.

The two clubs have met only once in the final before with Garryowen emerging victorious in 1926. 

UL Bohemian will be aiming to bridge a 56-year gap in Friday night’s all-Limerick final.

Opponents Garryowen, who lead the role of honours list and will hope to bring their tally of Cup successes to 39 and whoever wins will break the stranglehold of Cork Constitution who won the previous five finals.

Garryowen will be hoping for better luck in their second Cup final appearance of the season following their narrow Limerick Charity Cup final defeat to Nenagh Ormond. The Dooradoyle side currently sit in fifth place in Division 1A of the Ulster Bank League, four points off the play-offs.

Garryowen will be looking to bounce back from the 25-0 thumping they suffered at the hands of local rivals Young Munster at Clifford Park last time out in the AIL in Friday night’s final.

Garryowen resume their Ulster Bank League programme of fixtures with a home game against Dublin University on Saturday week, January 27.

Cup final opponents UL-Bohemian currently sit second-from-bottom in the Ulster Bank League Division 1B table, just two points ahead of basement side Dolphin and three points adrift of eighth-placed Ballymena.

A combination of Dolphin’s victory over UCC and the fact UL-Bohs had been deducted five points for playing an illegal player in a previous fixture had seen the Red, Red Robins slip to bottom place in the table.

However, a smashing 17-15 comeback victory away to Bective Rangers last time, came as a huge boost to UL-Bohs survival.

Next up for Christy Neilan’s side is a crucial Saturday, January 27 meeting with basement side Dolphin on the UL 4G rugby pitch on January 27.

Both Garryowen and UL-Bohs have had to come through some tight battles to get to Friday night’s Munster Senior Cup final.

UL-Bohs’ had to overcome sides from each of the three Division Two Leagues.

They opened up their campaign against Nenagh Ormond. The sides played the previous week in the Limerick Charity Cup with the Tipperary club emerging victorious. However, UL-Bohs’ were eager for a different result this time and 13 points by Robbie Bourke helped the Limerick side win out 18-13; with Joe Murray also scoring a crucial try.

In the quarter-finals, the Annacotty side faced Old Crescent. Both sides are noted for playing open attacking rugby and the game didn’t disappoint under lights at Rosbrien.

Old Crescent got off to a strong start to go 12-3 in front; but UL Bohs’ fought back with the impressive Harry Fleming racing in for two tries.

Aidan Enright followed up but Crescent fought back and trailed only by a point going into the final five minutes but Bohs’ were crucially awarded a penalty try to secure their path to the semi-finals.

Bruff were the opposition in the last four and it proved to be the most straightforward of their ties as they won out 22-8.

First-half tries by Mark Bromell and James Ryan put them in a strong position with Shane Scannell wrapping up the game in the second-half as he touched down while Mike Mullally kicked seven points.

Garryowen had two games to reach this stage, but they certainly earned their place having knocked out two other Division 1A sides.

First up was an enthralling local derby against Young Munster. Neil Cronin was the star-man for the Light Blues, scoring all of his sides point.

His try half an hour in was crucial; but so was his accurate kicking as he knocked over 14 points with the boot to help his side to a 19-16; with the wining penalty coming in a dramatic finish.

Even more impressively in the semi-final, they finally ended Cork Con’s recent dominance of the competition with a hard-fought 23-14 victory.

Cronin came up one-point short of his previous game’s tally; with 18 points that included a try on the hour mark, while James McInerney was also on the mark.