Defeat for Limerick champions Monaleen in Munster club SFC

Defeat for Limerick champions Monaleen in Munster club SFC

LIMERICK’S poor record continues in the Munster club SFC after defeat for Monaleen this Sunday in their quarter final against Carberry Rangers.

The final score in the Gaelic Grounds was 2-11 to 0-7 to the west Cork side.

The Dromcollogher-Broadford title winning season of 2008 was the last time that a Limerick side won in the competition – eight years without success.

Monaleen now turn attentions to the Munster club hurling champions with an IHC semi final against Kerry’s Kilmoyley in the Gaelic Grounds next Sunday (1.00).

Monaleen trailed 1-8 to 0-3 at half time in front of 1412 spectators.

It was a game in which the Limerick city side failed to find the form that saw them crowned county champions.

Three time in the opening 10-minutes the men in red had goal chances that went abegging with Brian O’Donovan (45-seconds), Graham O’Connell and Shane Cusack (sixth minute) and Brian O’Donovan and Luke Kavanagh (eighth minute) all seeing chances of an early goal slip away.

On top of that were two uncoverted ‘45s.

Barry Fitzpatrick had Monaleen off the mark in the 10th minute to leave it 0-2 to 0-1.

Then came four in a row for the west Cork side with their full forward line of John Hayes, John O’Rourke and Seamus Hayes all on the mark to leave 0-6 to 0-1 after 23-minutes.

Ger Collins had the first Monaleen score in 14 minutes but then came another run of scores from the Rosscarberry side.

Alan Jennings had their first goal in the 26th minute to lead 1-6 to 0-2.

A late Ger Collins free left it 1-8 to 0-3 at half time in front of 1412 in ideal conditions in the Gaelic Grounds.

Monaleen had the worst possible start to the second half when Finbarr Nash fouled John Hayes, who duly finished the penalty to the net.

The Cork side went the next 15 minutes without a score but Monaleen’s fightback never found pace with points from Paul Kinnerk and Tony Barry in reply and both Kinnerk and O’Donovan denied goals.

When Carberry did score again it moved them 2-9 to 0-6 clear entering the final quarter.

The only Monaleen of the final quarter came from sub Niall Loughran as Carberry finished with the final three points.

MONALEEN: Donal O’Sullivan; Colm Moran, John O’Dwyer, Daniel Enright; Padraig Quinn, Jack Hoare, Shane Cusack; Barry Fitzpatrick, Ross McGrath; Evan Quinlan, Luke Kavanagh, Ed Doyle; Brian O’Donovan, Ger Collins, Graham O’Connell. Subs: Finbarr Nash for Shane Cusack (28mins), Paul Kinnerk for Luke Kavanagh (29mins), Richie Murray for Finbarr Nash, b-c (31mins), Tony Barry for Evan Quinlan (37mins), James Kelly for Padraig Quinn, inj (43mins), Niall Loughran for Ed Doyle (52mins).

CARBERRY RANGERS: Paul Shanahan; Micheal Kelly, Brian Shanahan, Rob Hegarty; Robbie Kiely, Thomas O’Rourke, Jerry O’Riordan; Kevin McMahon, James Fitzpatrick; Alan Jennings, Chris O’Riordan, Mike Mennis; John O’Rourke, Seamus Hayes, John Hayes. Subs: Anthony Roche for James Fitzpatrick (40mins), Kieran Fitzpatrick for Seamus Hayes (45mins), Stephen Murray for Rob Hegarty (51mins), Padraig Hodnett for Mike Mennis (54mins), Sean O’Neill for Chris O’Donovan (56mins), Mark Ronan for John Hayes (58mins).

REFEREE: Rory Hickey (Clare).