Date for Munster’s Champions Cup away game against Stade Francais set

John Keogh

Reporter:

John Keogh

Munster's postponed Champions Cup against Stade Francais has been re-fixed for the weekend of January 8/9/10
MUNSTER have confirmed that their Champions Cup Round 2 game against Stade Francais will now take place on the weekend of January 8/9/10.

MUNSTER have confirmed that their Champions Cup Round 2 game against Stade Francais will now take place on the weekend of January 8/9/10.

The original fixture was postponed in the wake of the terror attacks in Paris.

Munster were due to be playing away against Cardiff Blues in the PRO12 on January 9 but that game will now be rescheduled at a later date.

This now means that Munster will play Stade Francais back to back as Thomond Park is due to host the Paris outfit in Round 5 of the competition on the following weekend.

Anthony Foley’s side had been facing into a block of games for 16 weeks before the Stade Francais game was postponed.

The province have games scheduled every weekend up until the Six Nations begins at the start of February.

Before the Paris game was re-fixed rumours were abound that the Champions Cup tie could be played mid-week.

Munster head coach Anthony Foley had said that he was opposed to that idea.

“I think a mid-week European Cup match is unfair to both sides,” Foley said.

“If you want to be fair it needs to be played on a weekend date.

“Everyone one loves Round 6 because of the permutations. I think that has been the tradition of the competitions.

“I think it would be slightly unfair to other sides and the supporters if the back matches were played after Round 6,” added the Munster head coach.