Limerick Rugby - Richmond continue to lead the way

Aidan Corr rounds up the action from the Munster Junior Leagues over the past week.

Aidan Corr rounds up the action from the Munster Junior Leagues over the past week.

SIX points clear of the chasing pack, Richmond are on target for back to back success in the Munster Junior League 1.

Next weekend they travel to play Kanturk and victory there would set them up nicely for the run-in to the title.

Yesterday at the Canal Bank, the green and whites had a comfortable bonus point victory over Kilfeacle, 34-19, and while they struggled at times in the opening half against the second placed side, they had enough in the tank to pull away with some ease in the second period.

It was 17-9 at half time with late tries from Sean Bennett and Pat Humphreys, both converted by Brian Mullins (who also added a penalty), putting Richmond in the driving seat after Kilfeacle had taken an early lead.

Emmett Harty scored his side’s third try early in the second half and Richmond finished in style with a fourth try scored by Stephen Clancy. Brian Mullins added two conversions and a penalty.

Newcastle West 19, St Senan’s 5

All the scores in this MJL1 game in Newcastle West on Sunday came in the first half. Sean Corbett got the West on their way with an early touchdown, converted by Alan Roche and the latter added four penalties to give his side their fifth win of the campaign.

Galbally 22, Clonmel 13

It’s a fourth win of the campaign for Galbally who led Clonmel 8-6 at the break. Eoin Bourke got their first try while Craig Airey kicked a first half penalty. Galbally were in control in the second half with tries from Danny Hayes and Brendan Childs while Airey added two conversions.

In MJL 2 the Presentation v Killarney game at Rathuard was called off because of a flooded pitch while the same fate saw off the Munster Junior Cup fixtures between Fermoy and Old Crescent and Abbeyfeale and Nenagh as well as the Gleeson League game between Kilfeacle and Galbally.

There was just one game down for decision on Friday night with St Mary’s getting a walk-over from Old Crescent (could not field a front-row) in the Gleeson League. After having an objection ruled in their favour, the four points keeps the ‘Saints’ in contention for one of the two play-off places in this league.

Gleeson League, Richmond 24, UL Bohemian 10: With the half time score 14-10 in favour of the home side, Bohs were still very much in this game. The second half, however, was controlled by Richmond who added ten unanswered points for a well-deserved victory.

Mike Geary proved to be their match-winner, scoring a try in each half and Dara Clancy’s conversion and four penalties made up the rest of their tally. UL Bohs’ scores came from Mark Egan, a try, and a conversion and penalty by Kevin McKellican.

Saturday’s meeting of Bruff and Thomond was called off because of the condition of the Kilballyowen playing surface while in Kilfeacle visitors Galbally kept their Gleeson League interest alive with a 22-17 win.