Premier sides show their class in Lawson Cup

Premier side Wembley Rovers made it through in the Lawson Cuo with a 3-0 win over Hyde Rangers on Sunday afternoon.

Premier side Wembley Rovers made it through in the Lawson Cuo with a 3-0 win over Hyde Rangers on Sunday afternoon.

The Division 2A side gave a good account of themselves and were not overawed however the experience if the home side helped them through.

With the game scoreless Garrett Higgins crossed into the Wembley area and Karl Turner’s header was heading for goal when veteran keeper Kevin Fitzpatrick, making his debut for Wembley, made a superb save to turn the ball out.

With work commitments denying Hyde both their keepers, manager Declan Curtin stood in for the day and made a good save to deny Diarmuid O’Callaghan.

However he was unable to keep the Blues out on the half hour mark when Eddie Mulcahy’s effort was parried out but Alan Wallace pounced to fire in the rebound.

Excellent work by Turner and Shanahan created a chance for Hyde but Keith Madigan’s header dropped agonisingly wide of goal.

With the first half petering out the home side were awarded a penalty which was expertly converted by Paul McCormack.

The second half was a more muted affair with Wembley content to hold what they had.

With Hyde pushing for a goal they were punished when Dave Quinn scored the insurance goal to send Rovers through.

Wembley Rvs - Kevin Fitzpatrick; Brian Finnegan; Gary Joyce; Pat Sheahan; John Fitzgerald; Paul McCormack; Barry Dillon; Eddie Mulcahy; Alan Wallace; Diarmuid O’Callaghan; Rob McLoughlin.

Hyde Rgs - Declan Curtin, Noel Shanahan, James McNamara, Pat Koyce, Mark Dore, Keith Madigan, Robert Griffin, Mike Phelan, Stephen Fitzmaurice, Karl Turner, Garret Higgins, Reserves, Ger Nash, Richard Benn

Janesboro 3 Newport 0

Premier League leaders got a welcome workout when they hosated Newport at Pearse Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

The Tipperary side showed some neat skill but were undone when Patrick Stanislewski finished at the back post from a corner kick.

Tom Clarke headed in a superb second goal before half time to ease the pressure.

Boro tacked on number three midway through the second half when Wayne O’Donovan converted from a spot kick after Shane Waters had been pulled down in the box. Janesboro - Darren Glasheen; Patrick Stanislewski, Aled Harkin; Wayne Colbert; Tom Clarke; Dave Roche; Thomas Lyons; Mike O’Gorman; Shane Waters; Conor Lynch; Wayne O’Donovan. Subs not used: Mouslim Mousserine; Lee O’Mara; David Donnan

Kilmallock 3 Shannon Town 0

Three nil seemed to be a popular scoreline yesterday as Kilmallock emulated Boro and Wembley when they saw off the challenge of Shannon Town with relative ease.

Jake Mulcahy fired the home side in front on 30 minutes and five minutes later Paul Doona made it an uphill battle for Shannon when he made it 2-0.

Any hoped for comeback was quashed midway through the second half when Benny Bourke completed the scoring.

Kilmallock - Rob Egan; Tomas Barrett; Jake Mulcahy; Conor Moloney; Dave Todd; Jason Heffernan; Mark Heffernan; Peter Murphy; Paul Doona; Anthony Punch; Tommy Heffernan. Subs not used: Benny Bourke; Ger Finn

Corbally Utd 3 Prospect Priory 2

A cracking tie in Athlunkard saw Corbally advance in the Lawson Cup at the expense of a hard working Prospect XI.

Two goals from Fearghal O’Connell, either side of the break, had the home side well in control. However when Keith Johnson scored from the spot to reduce arrears, the visitors gained confidence.

They looked to have taken the game to extra time when Daniel Colbert equalised on 85 minutes but in the last play of the game Ian O’Donoghue headed in from Ken Nealon’s free kick.

Corbally Utd - Adrian Duhig; Byron O’Neill; James Ryan; Jimmy Fyffe; Barry Heffernan; Shane Cox; Ronan Sherlock; Fearghal O’Connell; Pierce Cunningham; Ken Nealon; Ian O’Donoghue.

Carew Park 3 Aisling Annacotty 1

The only all Premier clash was won by Carew Park on a 3-1 scoreline over Aisling.

Carew Park took a first half lead when Diarmuid O’Shea played inside for Cyril Maher to volley home from 30 yards.

The game was squared up two minutes after the restart following a foul on Robbie Hammond in the penalty area and Ronan Smalle converted the equaliser.

A defensive slip up on the hour mark allowed Diarmuid O’Shea to nip in to restore the home side’s lead and the same player wrapped it up near time finishing an impressive run with an equally good finish.

Carew Park - Gordon Stewart; Dean Finnan; Leo Wong; Mark Keane; Francis Kett; Stephen Grant; Cyril Maher; Pat Boyle; Chris Bourke; Diarmuid O’Shea; Jon Somers. Subs not used: Jeffery Hogan; Mark Slattery; Gary Griffin

Aisling Annacotty - Ciaran McGlynn; Robbie Hammond; Alan Cuneen; Des Keehan; Niall Feeney; Brian Begley; Jason Sheehan; Mike Doyle; Ronan Smalle; Anthony Cusack; John Oroko.

Dromore Celtic 2 Lisnagry 1

As expected Dromore did not have things all their own way against a good Lisnagry XI. The visitors led 1-0 at the break through Paudie Byrnes but Barry O’Connell levelled after the break and with a last minute penalty kick Barry Butler scored to clinch it for Celtic.

Caherconlish 5 Bruff Utd 3

Caherconlish’s good run continued at the weekend as they brushed aside Bruff Utd 5-3 to secure a home tie with Pike Rvs in the next round.

Andrew Brennan and Colm Hickey scored two apiece for the winners with Joe Power completing the scoring.

More News

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.