Recent Death: The death has occurred in St. John’s Hospital of John (Sean) O’Connor, Mayorstone, Limerick, formerly of Ballinglanna, Lattin. Sean, who was pre-deceased by his wife Joan and siblings Dick, Matt, Sr. Oliver and Sr. Enda, is survived by his sons John, Brendan, Kevin and Declan, daughter Carmel, sisters Nellie, Mary and Tess, son-in-law, daughters-in-law, grandchildren, brothers-in-law, sisters-in-law, nephews, nieces, relatives and friends. Requiem Mass in St. Munchin’s Church was followed by burial in Kilmurry Cemetery, Castletroy.
Soccer: Both junior teams performed well last weekend with the A Team winning 2 – 0 away to Tipperary Town and the B Team recording its first league win with a 3 – 0 victory over Two Mile Borris. Alan Hayes and John Russell scored two first half goals to take the points in Tipperary, while Darren McCarthy and Shane Prenderville (2) were on the mark for the B Team. Next Sunday the A Team is away to Suirside in the Munster Junior Cup, while the B Team is also away to Peake Villa B at 12 noon.
The underage teams also had successful outings, with the 16s winning by 3 -0 in Ballylanders. Jack Downey (2) and Dubhan O’Grady got the goals. The U.12s were convincing winners in Rathkeale with Cian Martin (2), Tony O’Neill (2) and Cian Donovan among the goals. The U.12 B Team scored three goals through Ben Murphy, Jack Ryan and Conor O’Grady, but still failed to defeat Knockainey. Next Saturday the U.11s and U.13s have home fixtures at 11 am and 2 pm to Kilteely and Rathkeale, respectively. The U.15s will travel to Cappamore for a 12.30 kick-off.
Jubilee Gathering: A special occasion in association with the nationwide ‘Gathering’ festivities, will take place on October 19, when the Lattin/Sologhead combination of 1963 will be commemorated at a dinner dance in Ballykisteen Hotel. The majority of players from that era will attend what promises to be a very special occasion. Tickets, available at €25, include dinner at 8.30pm followed by music with the Glenside Ramblers. Tickets can be purchased from any committee member. This is sure to be a great night of fun, memories, stories, dancing and laughter, so get yourself there!
Shronell Graveyard: Everyone involved in the recent works undertaken at Shronell Graveyard must be complimented for their efforts to transform the overall appearance of this ancient burial place. A new pathway has been laid down, grass has been cut and reseeding has also taken place. Shronell is first mentioned in church records in 1291 when it was recognized as a separate entity and subjected to a papal taxation of 5 marks. By the time of the dissolution of the monasteries however, in the late 1530s, it belonged to the Augustinian abbey at Athassel. It was later granted to the Earl of Ormond, but continued to function as a Protestant parish up until Disestablishment in 1869. Materials from the small church and tower, located in the northern side of the graveyard, were used in the building of a new church in Cullen. It has many historical associations with the Damer and Chadwick families and the founder of Methodism, John Wesley, who preached here on two occasions during his visits to Ireland.