Asylum seeker attacked after going to Limerick flat for sex

Limerick Circuit Court
AN asylum seeker who agreed to pay €20 to have sex with a woman at a city centre flat was attacked and robbed during a drug-fuelled altercation.

AN asylum seeker who agreed to pay €20 to have sex with a woman at a city centre flat was attacked and robbed during a drug-fuelled altercation.

At Limerick Circuit Court, two women and a man pleaded guilty to charges relating to the incident which happened at Catherine Place on May 30, 2011.

Patrick Kinnane, aged 30, of Galvone Road, Kennedy Park; Maryann Lyndsey, aged 37, of Catherine Place and Tina Waters, aged 20, of Columcille Street, St Mary’s Park pleaded guilty to assaulting and robbing the man at the flat where Ms Lyndsey was living.

During a sentencing hearing, Det Garda Pat Whelan said the asylum seeker, who cannot be named because of his status, had encountered another women near Parnell Street at around 6pm that night. He said the woman, who is also before the courts, had been drinking and offered to have sex with the Ugandan national for €50 but later agreed to cut the price to €20.

Det Garda Whelan said the asylum seeker then tried to “sneak” the woman into the Hanratty’s Hostel where he was living at the time but was stopped by security staff.

The women then suggested they go to the flat at Catherine Place, which was described in court as a “knocking house”.

Judge Carroll Moran was told the three defendants were in the flat when the pair arrived and that at one point Ms Lyndsey offered to have sex with the man instead.

However, when the asylum seeker refused he was tied up and set upon by the three defendants who took his mobile phone and €135 in cash.

In his statement, the injured party claimed he had been struck with a golf club and a hammer during his ordeal and he told gardai he thought he was going to die.

However, a medical report submitted to the court showed he did not sustain any serious injuries.

John O’Sullivan BL, prosecuting, told the court that each of the defendants had made admissions “to varying degrees” but he said they were of significant assistance to the prosecution.

Lawyers representing each of the defendants submitted their admissions had been crucial.

Anthony Sammon SC, representing Kinnane, said his client was addicted to heroin at the time and was “under the influence” when the offence happened. He added that his client’s mother had died a short time before the incident.

Brendan Nix SC, representing Lyndsey, said she has led a “very unsettled life” and had also suffered a number a tragic bereavements in her family.

He added that she was also “abusing substances” around the time but is now on a methadone programme and has “taken possession of her life”.

Andrew Sexton SC, representing Tina Waters, said her sister had been murdered a number of months earlier. He said she too was abusing drugs but added that she has just one previous conviction for a theft offence.

Judge Carroll Moran commented that Kinnane had inflicted most of the violence and had taken the mobile phone.

He imposed a three-year prison sentence, suspending the final 18 months.

Lyndsey received a three-year suspended sentence and Waters received a twelve month suspended sentence.

All three defendants were bound to the peace for the next three years.

More News

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.