GARDAI investigating a vicious daylight assault in the city almost a week ago have renewed their appeal for information - particularly from passers-by.
Patrick Byrnes Jnr (33), sustained serious head injuries when he was attacked at Lord Edward Street at around 3.15pm last Tuesday, May 21.
The father-of-three, who is originally from Patrickswell, was initially treated at the Mid Western Regional Hospital but was later transferred to Cork University Hospital (CUH), where he remains.
While his condition is still critical, it is understood Mr Byrnes has shown some signs of slight improvement over the weekend.
The Leader has learned that Mr Byrnes is now breathing independently and is no longer dependant on a life support machine.
Family members have been maintaining a vigil at Mr Byrnes’ bedside since last week’s incident.
Meanwhile, Supt Dan Keane of Roxboro Road garda station has appealed to anyone who was driving in the Lord Edward Street area last Tuesday afternoon to come forward.
He said investigating gardai have established that a number of vehicles were seen passing the scene of the assault and he says they are anxious to speak with the occupants in confidence.
An incident room has been established at Roxboro Road garda station, which can be contacted at (061) 214340.
Gardai say they have yet to locate the car which they believe was used by Mr Byrnes’ attackers. It is described as being a light green coloured saloon car and part of the car’s registration number is 10KY.
To date, three people have been arrested as part of the investigation.
A man in his 20s and a 19-year-old girl were arrested during a follow-up operation shortly after the incident while a 17-year-old boy was arrested last Wednesday afternoon.
All three were questioned at Roxboro Road garda station before being released without charge.