A MAN who is charged in connection with an aggravated burglary at the home of an elderly woman in County Limerick last October has been refused bail.
John Joyce, 50, of no fixed abode, is accused of falsely imprisoning a woman at her home at Sandy Lane, Boher on the evening of October 11. It is alleged he was one of a number of men who called to the rural house at around 5pm that evening. The woman was pinned down by a man while her house was searched by others, with €1,240 taken from the property, along with jewellery. She remained tied up for an hour and a half until she managed to escape.
Detective Garda Paul Crowley, Roxboro Road station, outlined to Limerick District Court that gardai were objecting to bail due to a number of factors in this case, including that he “travels aimlessly throughout the country” with no fixed residence.
Solicitor John Herbert said directions in this case are still being sought from the Director of Public Prosecutions - more than 90 days after he was arrested. His client has remained in custody since then.
Det Crowley said this was a “very complex investigation, which was completed as fast as possible.
Mr Herbert said an address in Dublin where the accused, a married father of six, could reside would be provided to gardai.
Judge Eugene O’Kelly remanded him in custody to Limerick Prison for a further two weeks. Directions from the DPP are being sought by January 29, when the accused will appear before the court via video-link.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.