THE CHAIRMAN of Lisnagry FC, Ed Bourke says the club “owes a debt of gratitude” to Scanlon Park residents, who prevented one of their dressing rooms being engulfed in flames on Halloween night.
Mr Bourke said he got a phone call on Saturday at around 6.30pm that a number of teenagers - who have no involvement with Lisnagry FC - broke the lock and inside set alight a tyre doused in petrol. The pitch is located beside Scanlon Park.
“Only for the local people down there who quenched the fire it would have escalated into a major one. A good few of our players are from Scanlon Park so they came up and a number of women too.
“They went in to their houses, got bins and barrels of waters, brought them up and quenched it. They took ownership of it and sorted the whole thing out themselves. The club is very grateful - only for them we were in big, big trouble,” said Ed.
He estimated it will cost up to €1,000 in repairs.
“There was a good bit of fire damage and we will have to get the carpenter in to do the seating. We spent a lot of money between doing it up and getting it transported over,” said Ed. However, he says all this could have been avoided.
“We have been on to the council numerous times trying our best to get permission to put up a wall to protect our assets. At the moment it is wide open to walk in and around. We are getting negativity all the way through,” said Ed, who adds that sponsorship cards will be going out shortly for their annual Christmas swim and they are hoping for a positive response, as always, as monies will be needed to pay for the dressing rooms.
Castleconnell gardai are investigating and anybody with any information is asked to contact them at 061 377105.
Cllr Shane Clifford described it as an “attack on the community”.
“This was carried out while the rest of the community was enjoying an absolutely fabulous Halloween night put on by the ACM. We won’t let this intolerable behaviour ruin the fantastic community spirit in Castleconnell,” said Cllr Clifford.