A YOUNG man who was disqualified from driving for ten years has been warned he will go to prison if he is caught behind the wheel of a car again during the next decade.
Paul Mahon, aged 23, of Griffith Avenue, Ballinacurra Weston pleaded guilty to driving without insurance at Childers Road on June 6, 2011.
Insp Paul Reidy, head of the divisional traffic corps, said Mahon was disqualified from driving at the time of the offence and that he had been disqualified from driving on four separate occasions during 2011 for driving without insurance.
Solicitor Sarah Ryan said her client was an “idiot” and that the facts of the case speak for themselves.
She said on the date of the offence, her client’s child was sick and that he had “very foolishly” decided to drive to the hospital rather than wait for a lift.
In his evidence, Mahon said: “I just jumped into the car without thinking.”
When asked by Judge Eugene O’Kelly if he realised how serious the offence was, he replied: “I knew I was disqualified, I just didn’t think, it’s only when I can’t get a lift I do it”.
Ms Ryan said her client did not want to spend Christmas in prison and she said he was “willing to do five years community service instead”.
She said Mahon’s behaviour was a “two fingered salute” to the court and she acknowledged that “law abiding members of the public would have had to pay if he (Mahon) was in an accident”.
Imposing sentence, Judge O’Kelly said the seriousness of driving without insurance didn’t seem to be sinking in with the defendant.
“If you succumb to temptation again, you can know with certainty that you will go to prison,” he said.
In addition to disqualifying Mahon from driving for ten years, the judge imposed prison sentences totalling ten months which he suspended for a year.
Mahon was fined €300 for driving without an NCT on the same date and €150 for driving without a driving licence.