Woman held captive at Limerick flat for a week

David Hurley


David Hurley

Limerick Courthouse
GARDAI are investigating allegations that a woman was abducted and held captive at a flat in the city for almost a week.

GARDAI are investigating allegations that a woman was abducted and held captive at a flat in the city for almost a week.

Three men have appeared in court charged in connection with the incident which is alleged to have happened earlier this month.

Two of the men are charged with falsely imprisoning the woman - who is aged in her early 30s - in the Thomondgate area of the city on May 3, last.

They were released on bail and are due to appear before the court again in July.

It is alleged the woman, who is from the southside of the city, was “pulled from a taxi” by a number of men and bundled into another vehicle before being taken to a flat near the city centre.

Gardai are investigating alleg-ations that the woman was then kept against her will at the flat for six days during which time she was beaten and possibly sexually assaulted. Gardai are also investigating claims the woman was assaulted with a shovel during her period of captivity.

One of the three men, who appeared before Limerick Court this Wednesday, is accused of assaulting the woman causing her harm.

It is alleged that offence took place at the flat where she was being held captive on the same day she was abducted.

It is understood the woman told gardai she was held captive at the flat until May 9.

Investigating gardai have seized a car as part of their inquiries and they are also viewing CCTV footage at the location where the woman was allegedly abducted from.

Investigating gardai arrested a number of men earlier this week at a hotel on the outskirts of Dublin.

During a bail application made by one of the accused men, Det Garda Keith Harmon said it is “highly likely” that further charges will be brought in the case which, he said, is likely to proceed before the Central Criminal Court.

He said there is strong evidence in the case including statements from independent witnesses which corroborate some of the allegations in the case.

Objecting to bail he told Sgt Donal Cronin he feared the accused would not stand trial if released and he said he feared the complainant would be intimidated.

Solicitor John Devane said his client was “not a flight risk” and was willing to abide by any conditions imposed by the court including “signing on three times a day” if necessary.

However, Judge Eugene O’Kelly said was not satisfied to grant bail and he remanded the accused in custody until May 21, next.

Investigations are continuing and a file is being prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions.