IN A RARE move, the terms of bail have been lifted for a man charged with indecent assault to allow him to leave the jurisdiction before his trial and spend the summer in his second residence in the south of France.
The Limerick man, who cannot be identified at this time due to reporting restrictions, is alleged to have committed six counts of indecent assault on a relative on unknown dates between 1977 and 1980.
The 58-year-old accused, who resides on the outskirts of the city, took to the stand in Limerick Circuit Court to testify under oath that he would return for a hearing over the summer months and would not be a flight risk.
His bail had earlier been set at €5,000 in Limerick District Court, where he was ordered to surrender his passport and sign on every week at Mayorstone garda station.
Mark Nicholas, BL, for the accused, made an application to Judge Carroll Moran to change the terms of his bail to allow him spend six weeks in his holiday house in the south of France this July and August. The barrister said his client, who has no previous convictions, has consistently made himself available to gardai.
John O’Sullivan, BL, for the State, said the question of relocating to another country “is a matter of anxiety for the gardai”.
Judge Moran agreed to the application, ordering that he appear before the court on July 24.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.