GARDAI are investigating an incident during which a schoolboy sustained serious hand injuries when a firecracker went off in the pocket of his pants.
The 11-year-old was was rushed to hospital following the incident which happened at around 11am last Friday as he was attending a primary school on the southside of the city.
After being initially treated at the Mid- Western Regional Hospital, the schoolboy was transferred to Cork University Hospital, where he underwent emergency plastic surgery on his right hand over the weekend.
The boy, who is recovering from his ordeal, also sustained injuries to his upper thigh as a result of the explosion.
Insp John O’Reilly of Henry Street Garda Station says gardai are examining the circumunstances of the incident.
He said they are also seeking to establish how the boy managed to obtain the illegal firecracker.
“We are looking into what happened and this incident acts as a warning to other parents whose children may also have obtained firecrackers,” he said.
Insp O’Reilly says the incident highlights the dangers of illegal fireworks and bangers and how easily injuries can be inflicted.
“They are lethal altogether and they are an explosive substance and I would urge parents whose children who may have obtained them to get rid of them,” he said adding that the young boy was lucky not to have sustained more serious injuries.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.