ADDITIONAL charges have been brought against two men who are charged in connection with separate aggravated burglaries in the Pallasgreen area more than twelve months ago.
William Gammell, aged 27, of An Cuirt, Monard, County Tipperary and John Cahill, aged 28, of Hillview Grove, Doon were remanded on continuing bail pending the completion of books of evidence in the case.
Gammell was previously charged with entering the home of the Creed family at Ballyluddy, Pallasgreen as a trespasser and with committing burglary at the house on May 31, 2012.
During a review of the case, Det Garda Michael Riedy of Bruff garda station, told Limerick Court the Director of Public Prosecutions has directed that an aggravated burglary charged be preferred against him instead of the burglary charge.
It is alleged that three elderly siblings were tied up and beaten during the incident, which lasted for over an hour.
Gammell, a married father-of-three, faces a further charge of “aiding and abetting” the commission of a serious offence – namely an aggravated burglary at Sunville House, Pallasgreen on April 16, 2012 - by impeding the arrest of another person.
It is alleged that a number of members of the same family were tied up and thousands of euro taken from their home during that incident.
Gammell was also charged with being a passenger in a stolen car at Carrabeg, Doon on May 27, 2012, contrary to Section 112 of the Road Traffic Act.
Meanwhile, during the same court sitting, Cahill was charged with committing an aggravated burglary at Sunville House, Pallasgreen April 16, 2012 and with being a passenger in stolen car at the house on the same date.He too was previously charged with “intentionally impeding the apprehension or prosecution” of a person who he knew to be guilty of committing the aggravated burglary at Sunville House.
Cahill is also accused of setting a car on fire at Ballyedmond, Rear Cross following the incident at Sunville House.
Sgt Donal Cronin told Judge Eugene O’Kelly that the DPP has directed trial by indictment on all matters and he requested an adjournment of the case to facilitate the book of evidence in relation to each of the accused.
The judge granted the application and both men were remanded on continuing bail until June 27, next.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.