A LIMERICK man has been told he faces the possibility of two years in prison after he pleaded guilty to threatening and robbing two young men in the city centre just over a year ago.
Paul Doran, 21, of Nicholas Street admitted taking mobile phones, cash and a cigarette lighter from the two youths at Matthew Bridge in the early hours of January 14, 2011.
Garda Sean O’Hagan said he was alerted to the robbery a short time later as he was dealing with a public order incident involving Doran.
He said the two victims identified Doran to him as the culprit and that their property was recovered from the defendant, who was intoxicated at the time.
Doran later told gardai he could not remember what happened and his barrister Brian McInerney said he had been “trollied drunk” on the night.
“He had consumed a vast quantity of drink and he was not able to stand,” said Mr McInerney.
Garda O’Hagan agreed with Mr McInerney that Doran has been “off the radar” since the incident and that he is dealing with “various services” in an effort to address his alcohol problem.
Judge Carroll Moran was told that the defendant has saved €700 and that he wished to offer it as compensation to the two victims.
The judge ordered that they each be given €350 and he adjourned the case until May 15, next for review.
He said if Doran is in any trouble in the meantime he faces the possibility of two years in prison.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.