HEALTH Minister James Reilly has given assurances to the city’s Fine Gael TDs that there will be no night-time closures of A&E at the Mid-Western Regional Hospital this summer.
Constituents of both Minister Michael Noonan and Deputy Kieran O’Donnell have been deeply concerned by reports a shortage in junior doctors could see the doors closed at the country’s second busiest emergency department at 8pm from July 11 - and that patients could be brought to Galway or Cork.
Deputy O’Donnell said he had sought a meeting with Minister Reilly on Tuesday “to bring clarity to the situation” and that the Minister was adamant “the integrity of the service will not be compromised”.
A spokesman for Michael Noonan said that, prior to his departure for an EU summit on Sunday, the Limerick TD had been given similar assurances by his Cabinet colleague.
“Michael is aware of the speculation relating to the A&E department at the Regional Hospital and the upset it has caused. Before his trip to Luxembourg he got assurances from James Reilly that there will be no evening closures and there is no threat to services in A&E at the hospital. Michael is very anxious that message gets out,” a spokesman for Minister Noonan said.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.