Feohanagh-Castlemahon into Munster club football final

Limerick football team
Feohanagh-Castlemahon booked their place in the Munster Club JFC final thanks to a 0-16 to 1-8 win over Clare representatives Coolmeen on Sunday afternoon.

Feohanagh-Castlemahon booked their place in the Munster Club JFC final thanks to a 0-16 to 1-8 win over Clare representatives Coolmeen on Sunday afternoon.

Showing all the movement and purpose that won them the county title, they outlasted Clare representatives on their home turf of Coolyroe on Sunday to book a date with Kerry champions in Keel in Mallow in a fortnight’s time.

And they did it the hard way. Socked with an early goal, denied two goal chances by Aidan Corry’s inspired saves and shooting five wides before chalking up the result-clinching scores, the noisy home support had to wait until the final minutes before they could relax.

Coolmeen won an immediate ‘45’ which bounced around the square before David Neenan fly-kicked to the net. Castlemahon’s response was immediate as Tossie Butler, Jeff Reidy twice and Paddy Carroll sent over four points in as many minutes before Alan Marrinan equalised and, after Butler was denied a goal at the other end, Cathal O’Connor and Neenan’s free restored Coolmeen’s lead.

They remained in front as O’Connor replied to James Guina’s free but Castlemahon slowly regained the initiative in the middle as Mike Fitzgibbon pulled one back. He was then denied by a superb Aidan Corry save after he raced all the way from halfway before, coming up to half-time, Donal Mullane and Willie Lomasney left the hosts leading by 0-8 to 1-4.

Marrinan had the sides level within fifteen seconds of the restart and Kevin Val McMahon tied it up again after Fitzgibbon’s instant reply. After Guina’s free and Reidy’s third strike were met by O’Connor and McMahon’s equalising free, Lomasney and Butler took over in midfield.

Two Guina frees had the hosts back in front but they wasted chance after chance of moving into the safety zone. Only when Guina’s free drifted over with three minutes left were they sure of the result before Reidy closed out with two spectacular points.

SCORERS - Feohanagh-Castlemahon: Jeff Reidy, James Guina (all frees) 0-5 each, Mike Fitzgibbon 0-2, Tossie Butler, Paddy Carroll, Donal Mullane, Willie Lomasney 0-1 each; Coolmeen: David Neenan 1-1 (0-1 free), Cathal O’Connor 0-3, Alan Marrinan, Kevin, Val McMahon (one free) 0-2 each.

FEOHANAGH-CASTLEMAHON: Barry Noonan; Noel Corbett, Seán Downey, Mike O’Mahony; Niall Kennedy, Patrick Lomasney, Donal Mullane; Willie Lomasney, Tossie Butler; Paddy Carroll, Mattie O’Sullivan, Alan Roche; James Guina, Mike Fitzgibbon Jeff Reidy. Subs: Seán Flanagan for Alan Roche (38 mins), Conor Noonan for Noel Corbett (41 mins), Ross Egan for Niall Kennedy (58 mins), Timmy Dore for Mi ke O’Mahony (60 mins), Vinny Barry for Paddy Carroll (60 mins).

COOLMEEN: Aidan Corry; Kevin McMahon, Seán McMahon, Aidan Hanrahan; Gary Meaney, Anthony King, Aaron Kelly; Cathal O’Connor, Eoin O’Connor; Kevin Val McMahon, Brian Markham, Thomas Coffey; Alan Marrinan, Noel Meaney, David Neenan. Subs: Marty McMahon for Gary Meaney (half-time), Kevin Corry for Thomas Coffey (37 mins), Michael Brooks for Seán McMahon (44 mins), Pádraig Corry for David Neenan (47 mins), Cian Murphy for Eoin O’Connor (52 mins).

REFEREE: Séamus Mulvihill (Kerry).