Ballylanders and St Kierans unbeaten in Limerick SFC

The Limerick minor footballers were beaten by Cork in the Munster championship on Wednesday nigh
BALLYLANDERS and St Kierans maintained their 100% records in the Limerick SFC this Wednesday night.

BALLYLANDERS and St Kierans maintained their 100% records in the Limerick SFC this Wednesday night.

Both now have three wins from three games and join Fr Caseys as the remaining unbeaten teams.

Ballylanders finished strongly to claim their third win on the trot in the SFC with a 0-11 to 0-9 victory over Drom-Broadford in Kilmallock.

The West Limerick side were very wasteful shooting a number of wides, including missing two great chances to level the game late on.

Kieran O’Callaghan opened the scoring with a routine free after three minutes. However, it would be the 26th minute before the South Limerick side next scored.

In the intervening period Drom-Broadford scored five points, the first of which was a beautiful effort from Seanie Buckley to level the game. A Killian Phair free gave the champions of 2012 and 2013 the lead before Kevin Noonan doubled their advantage.

Cillian Fahy’s 43rd minute effort to put them 0-9 to 0-7 up but this was to be his sides last score of the match.

Three late Kieran O’Callaghan frees as well as a score from substitute Danny Frewen gave Ballylanders the victory and handed Drom their first Championship defeat since May 2012.

Meanwhile, Chalking up their third win out of three, St Kieran’s all but qualified for the senior football play-offs with two rounds still to play when overcoming Galbally’s third-quarter revival in Bruff on Wednesday evening; 1-16 to 1-8.

Late scoring blitzes as the end of both halves swelled out the winning margin but, in the end, it was a fair reflection of their dominance of an entertaining hour of football during which both sides battled right to the end.

Galbally tore in from the start and missed one before Vinny O’Connell’s free opened the scoring. After another chance dropped short, the Kierans midfield woke up for Molyneaux’s free to equalise and McCarthy to give them the lead. Shooting slowed down until the quarter mark when Timmy Carroll’s dominance of the middle led to McCarthy and John Doyle doubling their score before a Galbally raid down the right ended with Pa Cronin pointing off David Cussen.

Carroll split the posts off a thundering run from midfield before O’Connell replied with a free. Although Seán McSweeney replied immediately in kind, it wasn’t until the last minutes of the half that the Ardagh club found reward as Donal Nolan and Molyneaux’s pair gave them a lead of 0-9 to 0-3 at the break.

That spurt was wiped out within a minute of the restart as Donovan thundered in from the right to blast past Pa Histon. McSweeney and O’Connell then traded frees before Michael Donovan brought the gap back to two as Carroll limped off injured but Kierans shrugged off the setback when an attack launched from deep by McCarthy ended with Nolan finding the net after Ray Cahill’s initial attempt was saved.

The Glensmen tried to respond but Kierans kept their shape and the gap remained as it was as Molyneaux’s free answered Gary McCarthy and Cahill met James Ryan’s strike from just inside the sideline. Mike Flynn edged the lead out to six and, while Robert Casey replied, McSweeney struck from a free, from play and from another free as Kierans coasted home in style.