Limerick’s Feohanagh-Castlemahon defeated in Munster final

Jerome O’Connell


Jerome O’Connell

The Limerick SFC final will be between Drom-Broadford and Newcastle West on Sunday, October 18
LIMERICK junior football champions Feohanagh-Castlemahon suffered defeat in the Munster club JAFC final this Sunday afternoon in Mallow.

LIMERICK junior football champions Feohanagh-Castlemahon suffered defeat in the Munster club JAFC final this Sunday afternoon in Mallow.

The West Limerick side went down 0-14 to 0-4 to Kerry’s Keel.

Feohanagh-Castlemahon join Bruff, Mountcollins, Bruree and Cappamore to suffer a provincial final defeat at this grade in the last six years - all to Kerry opposition.

While Feohanagh-Castlemahon battled hard from start to finish, Keel clearly had greater forward power and in Gary Sayers they had the class footballer on show. He finished with four points from play and another three from frees.

Feohanagh-Castlemahon got the games’s opening score but by half time they were 0-5 to 0-2 in arrears and that was after playing with the stiff wind in the first half.

Alan Roche had the first scores of the game in the second minute after a great drive up the right wing by Niall Kennedy. Paddy Carroll supplied the fine pass and Roche lofted over from 30-minutes.

Their second and only other score of the first half came in the ninth minute.

And, what a score it was - from all of 50-metres Mike Fitzgibbon kicked a mammoth score.

That left it 0-2 each but from here the Kerry side took over.

Sean Downey, Fitzgibbon, Tossie Butler and William Lomasney continued to take the fight to the Kerry side but the advantage for Keel was three points at the break.

On the change of ends, Barry Noonan did brilliantly to deny Keel a goal, when saving from Mikey O’Connor.

But there was never to be a serious challenge from Feohanagh-Castlemahon - who only managed two Fitzgibbon frees in the half.

Keel defended in numbers and broke forward with pace to ensure a smooth passage to the winning line.

SCORES: Feohanagh-Castlemahon: Michael Fitzgibbon 0-3 (2frees), Alan Roche 0-1. Keel: Gary Sayers 0-7 (3frees), Liam Sheehan 0-5 (3frees), Terry O’Sullivan, Bart Murphy 0-1 each.

FEOHANAGH-CASTLEMAHON: Barry Noonan; Noel Corbett, Sean Downey, Mike O’Mahony; Niall Kennedy, Patrick Lomasney, Donal Mullane; William Lomasney, Tossie Butler; Paddy Carroll, Mattie O’Sullivan, Alan Roche; James Guina, Michael Fitzgibbon, John Reidy. Subs: Conor Noonan for Noel Corbett (22mins), Sean Flanagan for James Guina (h-t), Jason Clifford for Alan Roche (44mins), Timmy Dore for Mike O’Mahony (46mins), Vinny Barry for Paddy Carroll (54mins).

KEEL: Stephen Cahillane; Emmet Ashe, Gary Nagle, Bart Murphy; Gavin Evans, Eoghan O’Connor, James Nagle; Thomas Ladden, James Long; Gary Gayers, Liam Sheehan, Martin Burke, Terry O’Sullivan, Mikey O’Connor, Aaron Cahillane. Sub: Eoin O’Neill for Gavin Evans (40mins), Colm O’Neill for Mikey O’Connor (48mins).

REFEREE: Kevin Murphy (Cork).