Limerick FC stun Cork City

Limerick FC defender Stephen Folan
LIMERICK FC ended the Bank Holiday weekend on a high with a superb 3-2 win in the Munster derby against Cork City in Turners Cross.

LIMERICK FC ended the Bank Holiday weekend on a high with a superb 3-2 win in the Munster derby against Cork City in Turners Cross.

Monday’s win eased the heartbreak of Derry City’s two late goals on Friday night in the Brandywell that saw the Candystrips snatch a 2-1 victory from the grasp of Limerick FC.

But this Monday, Limerick had a 73rd minute winner from David O’Leary to secure all three points in the Airtricity League Premier Division.

O’Leary struck 17-minutes from time to secure the win for Stuart Taylor’s Super Blues.

In a superb game, Limerick native Shane Duggan had brought Cork had into contention with a 56th minute goal leaving it 2-2 .

Limerick made just one change from the Brandywell visit with Chris Curran replacing Rory Gaffney in attack.

Cork included two Limerick natives in their starting eleven – both scored!

Former Limerick FC striker Denis Behan led the Leeside attack, while Duggan was in the centre of midfield.

For their part, Limerick had former Cork City favourite Joe Gamble and Cork native David O’Leary in the heart of midfield.

It was the home side that started the better and on 13-minutes it was former Limerick front man Denis Behan that came back to haunt the Super Blues when he finished to the net after a Gearoid Morrissey through-ball.

But the opening goal spurred Limerick forward and within 15-minutes the game was turned on its head.

Twice O’Leary delivered free-kicks into the danger area and twice Limerick scored.

Firstly it was Aaron Browne that headed home and then two minutes later Alex Bossekota steered into the net from an almost identical delivery from O’Leary.

That helped Limerick bring a 2-1 advantage to the interval.

And, they also brought a numerical advantage into the second half as Cork had Darren Dennehy sent off four minutes before the break, which saw the home side replace Behan with a defender.

The second half saw Cork rewarded with an equaliser just 11-minutes after the restart.

But Limerick’s winner came in the final quarter.

Shane Tracy delivered the final pass and O’Leary made the most of some hesitant goalkeeping to pounce for the winner.

After the Bank Holiday weekend on their travels Limerick FC will be back in Thomond Park on Tuesday next May 14 at 7.45 when they entertain Drogheda Utd.

LIMERICK FC – Ryan; Kelly, Folan, Browne, Williams, Gamble, Galbraith, Bossekota (Rainsford ’91), O’Leary (Judge ’80), Tracy, Curran.

CORK CITY – McNulty; Murray, Murphy, Nel Horgan, Dennehy, Gearoid Morrissey, Daryl Horgan (Turner ’81), Healy, Duggan, Danny Morrissey (Furlong ’77), Behan (Spillane ’43).