Limerick Junior Soccer - Munster Junior Cup Roundup

The Munster Junior Cup third round took place over the weekend
The third round of the Munster Junior Cup took place over the weekend. Here is a roundup of all the action.

The third round of the Munster Junior Cup took place over the weekend. Here is a roundup of all the action.

In the biggest game of the weekend Fairview Rangers overcame Geraldines but needed extra time to do so. AJ O’Connor’s header early in extra time gave them the lead and with Geraldines pushing men forward to try and bring the game to penalties, they were hit on the counter attack by David Hannon to give the View a 2-0 win.

Pike Rovers made their way to the fourth round with a 6-0 win over Summerville Rovers at Portland Park. Summerville played well for the first half hour but once Pike got their first goal 10 minutes from half time, the floodgates opened. John Connery scored a hat trick while Eoin Hanrahan hit two. Shane Walsh got the other goal for Pike.

Janesboro hit seven goals against Knockainey to secure a comfortable passage to the next round. It was a good day for the Clarke family with Shane scoring a hat trick while brother Thomas found the net twice. Aaron Nunan and Oisin McMenamin got the other goals.

Division 1B side Southend nearly gave Premier League leaders Carew Park an almighty shock. Barry Gibbons gave the home side the lead in the first half. Kieran Hanlon levelled for Carew before Mark McGrath fired home for their winner.

Regional Utd ensured their fourth round place with a 5-0 win away to Caherconlish. Tony Frawley and Mike Lyons goals gave Regional a 2-0 lead at half time. Frawley got his second as the game entered the final ten minutes. Ollie O’Driscoll and Shane O’Doherty also scored late goals for Regional.

Nenagh continued their outstanding start to the season by taking the scalp of Premier League Aisling Annacotty with a 2-1 home win. Ryan Gilmartin gave the Tipperary side the lead on 60 minutes with a stunning strike from the edge of the box. Aisling hit back two minutes later when Keith Mawdsley scored yet another goal. Nenagh were not to be deterred and Mark McKenna fired home the winner 20 minutes from time.

Ballynanty Rovers travelled to Cappamore and came away with a 6-0 win thanks to four goals from Kevin Barry and one goal each from Robert and Liam Brock.

Mungret Regional needed penalties to overcome a strong Corbally Utd challenge. The game finished 2-2 after 90 minutes with Barry Danagher and Byron Fitzgerald scoring Mungret’s two goals and Jack Fitzgerald scoring two for Corbally. Fitzgerald gave his side the lead in extra time but Lucca Tedde’s goal sent the game to penalties with Mungret winning the shootout 4-3.

Charleville overcame a fantastic effort from Division 2A side Athlunkard Villa by three goals to two. Goals from Dave Quinn and Aaron Costello for Villa and Shane Dillon and Pat O’Callaghan for Charleville had the game level 2-2 heading into the final stages. Ciaran Carey’s deflected shot in the 89th minute won the game for the Division 1A outfit.

Murroe had a 7-1 victory over Division 1A colleagues Caherdavin Celtic. Liam Quinn scored four with Alan Cuneen, Brian Quinn and Drew McLean getting the other goals for Murroe. Ross McMenemy hit Caherdavin’s reply.

Holycross also had a 7-1 win in their game against Prospect Priory. Niall O’Riordan hit a hat trick, Sean O’Riordan scored two an there was one each for Ryan Glynn and Tony Burke.

There was controversy in the Tuohy Cup game between Ballynanty Rovers and Geraldines played earlier in the week. Referee Nigel Casey awarded Balla a highly controversial penalty with the game looking set for extra time. Geraldines protested so much that Casey sent off two of their players. Ryan Earls made no mistake with the spot kick to send his side through.