Doon win minor title as Bruree return to senior

There was a busy day of Limerick GAA club action this Saturday
It was a good day for Doon, Bruree, Feohanagh and Rathkeale on the Limerick GAA club scene on Saturday.

It was a good day for Doon, Bruree, Feohanagh and Rathkeale on the Limerick GAA club scene on Saturday.

Bruree returned to senior hurling after a 1-12 to 1-11 semi-final replay win over Monaleen in the Premier IHC – but it wasn’t without controversy.

Referee Denis Richardson blew for full time after Monaleen’s Darren Golden picked up a break 21 yards from goal. The whistle went as Golden was striking the ball which went over the bar, much to Monaleen’s anger.

Bruree led 0-6 to 0-5 at the break but were awarded an early second-half penalty. Kieran O’Dea’s effort was well stopped by Cian O’Dwyer before John O’Brien knocked in the rebound.

Just three minutes later the ball was in the net at the other end as Mark O’Dwyer put Monaleen back into contention.

It was nip and tuck throughout the closing stages until Kieran O’Dea held his nerve to hit a long range free (his sixth point of the game) in the third minute of injury time to win it for the south Limerick side who now play Knockainey in the Premier IHC final. Both teams are promoted to the senior ranks for 2016.

In the second game, Feohanagh made it back-to-back promotions, reaching the IHC final after a 1-13 to 0-13 replay victory over Glenroe. For the second weekend in a row it was a big second half performance from the west outfit.

Trailing 0-6 to 0-4 at the break, they scored 1-9 in the second half, the goal coming from Seamus Flanagan’s 53rd minute effort after good work from Michael Fitzgibbon breaking the ball.

Alan Roche once again top scored for Feohanagh with 0-6 from placed balls as Glenroe failed to reach the Premier IHC, falling at the last hurdle for the third year in a row, despite 0-6 from Mark O’Connell and three points from play from Mike Mansell.

Feohanagh, led by inspirational captain Barry Lynch, play Cappamore in the decider with both teams already guaranteed promotion.

Meanwhile, in the Limerick MHC final Doon claimed their third title in four years thanks to a 0-18 to 0-14 win over Na Piarsaigh in Bruff. Doon led throughout the game and were 0-8 to 0-7 up at the break. Peter Casey hit five points in that spell for Na Piarsaigh but Barry Murphy and Jack Ryan were prominent for Doon.

Doon kept their noses in front after the break and the city side were dealt a blow when Conor Houlihan was sent off midway through the second half and there was to be no catching Doon after that.

Elsewhere Adare were relegated out of the senior football ranks after losing 0-12 to 0-8 to Rathkeale in Askeaton. Rathkeale led 0-6 to 0-4 at the break and they maintained their advantage throughout the second half.