Limerick SHC round-up - Four knockout places decided

Jerome O’Connell


Jerome O’Connell

Patrickswell's Thomas O'Brien breaks through the Murroe-Boher defence
FOUR places were decided in the knockout stages of the Limerick SHC this Tuesday night.

FOUR places were decided in the knockout stages of the Limerick SHC this Tuesday night.

With one round of games to play, champions Na Piarsaigh and Doon are already guaranteed to finish as table-toppers and therefore advance directly to the semi-finals.

What is also certain is that Kilmallock and Ahane will advance to the quarter-finals.

Also decided is that Knockainey are relegated to the Premier Intermediate Championship next season.

There were five games played on Tuesday night.

Ahane snatched a last gasp win over Adare in the Gaelic Grounds, 1-16 to 1-15.

Adare led for the entire game until the 53rd minute when sub Paddy Morrissey goaled for Ahane. John Fitzgibbon did equalise with a long range free but then county minor star Tom Morrissey popped up with the winner for Ahane.

Adare had led 1-9 to 0-7 at the break with Lucas O’Brien getting the goal in the fourth minute.

In the second half, Adare went 20-minutes without a score.

Patrickswell beat Murroe-Boher 2-16 to 0-12.

The winners had a goal in either half.

A fifth minute Thomas O’Brien goal helped them to a 1-11 to 0-7 half time lead.

The win was sealed in the 51st minute when Kevin O’Brien found the net for Patrickswell, who now face a winner takes all clash with Adare in the final round.

South Liberties won 2-13 to 0-18 - Shane O’Neill with last minute goal. It was 0-12 to 0-5 at half time. William Hickey got 1-3 in first half for South Liberties, Alan O’Connor got 0-14 in total for Ballybrown. Ballybrown looked to have won it with late points from Lee Doolan and O’Connor after Ross Griffin had got a second yellow. Frees from Ciaran Carberry kept South Liberties in contention in second half.

Doon won easy. 4-18 to 1-12. It was 2-12 to 1-4 at half time. Darragh O’Donovan got 2-6 in first half, 2-5 from play. Kieran Cleary got Knockainey goal. Michael Ryan, who finished with 1-5, and George Allis got the second-half goals for Doon.

Na Piarsaigh had to come from behind to beat Granagh-Ballingarry. They raced into 0-7 to 0-2 lead and were 1-9 to 0-9 at half time, goal coming from Eoin Kennedy. Goal from Damien O’Donovan early in second hal put GB 2-10 TO 0-11 clear but Na Piarsaigh came back well with David Dempsey and Kevin Downes goaling midway through the half. They were 2-16 to 2-12 in front with 15 minutes remaining and sides went point for point to the finish, Eoin Kennedy driving over in the last minute when shooting for equalising point. Denis O’Connor scored 0-10 for Grangh-Ballingarry.