LIMERICK football officials are to push ahead with plans to return the open draw format to the Munster senior football championship.
This Wednesday night, representatives of Limerick, Tipperary, Clare and Waterford met to help formulate an action plan for the coming weeks.
Limerick Football Committee chairman John Cregan said that the mood was for change.
“The Limerick view is anything but what we have now,” he said in relation of the ‘seeded draw format’ of this season which saw Kerry and Cork kept on opposite sides of the draw.
As well as the meeting of officials, it is also understood that players from Limerick, Tipperary, Clare and Waterford have also had communication in recent times to ensure a proposal for change is brought before the Munster Council in the coming weeks.
A decision on the structures of the provincial championship will be made at a full meeting of the Munster Council and at Munster Council CCC level.
The next Munster Council meeting in Castletroy is scheduled for September 11 with the CCC to meet in advance of that.
A decision on the structure of the Munster SFC will have to be finalised at the meeting as the draws for the championship will be due to take place in mid-October - usually live on RTE television.
The vote is expected to be tight.
At present there are two options available to the quartet seeking change.
The first is a straight open draw.
The second option is for Limerick, Tipperary, Clare and Waterford to play the two quarter-finals and the two winners would then progress to an open draw semi-final with Kerry and Cork.
“Earlier in the year we discussed it at a Football Committee meeting when debating the future of the McGrath Cup and the mood was for a return to some form of open draw,” explained Cregan.
“In the coming days I will be taking instructions from the Football Committee, from the senior football management and then bring a proposal,” outlined Cregan.
It is thought that the matter could be on the agenda for the next meeting of Limerick County Board on September 9, which is just 48-hours ahead of the next Munster Council meeting.
The return to the seeded draw in 2014 brought much criticism and saw Limerick withdraw from the McGrath Cup - a return for 2015 is expected for John Brudair’s Limerick team.
Also in protest, no Limerick players made themselves available for the Inter-Provincial championship or didn’t attend the media event launching the Munster championship.