Limerick SFC weekend round-up

There was championship GAA action in Limerick this Friday evening
CHAMPIONS Dromcollogher-Broadford remain unbeaten after two rounds of the Limerick SFC.

CHAMPIONS Dromcollogher-Broadford remain unbeaten after two rounds of the Limerick SFC.

On Saturday night they were 0-13 to 0-11 winners over Monaleen in a repeat of last season’s county final.

The win in Kilmallock ensures Drom-Broadford sit on top of their group, while Monaleen are struggling and without a win.

Monaleen were 0-7 to 0-5 ahead at half time with Graham O’Connell and Ger Collins kicking points.

However in the second half, Drom-Broadford had four points from Micheal Reidy to inspire them to the win. All six forwards kicked scores for the champions as they battled to the two point win.

Ad well as champions Dromcollogher-Broadford another three clubs also remain unbeaten after two rounds of the Limerick SFC.

Over the weekend, Ballylanders, Fr Caseys and St Kierans all made it two wins from two in the county championship and all now sit comfortably in their respective group tables ahead of the break before round three on the weekend of August 7-10.

This Sunday evening, Ballylanders were 2-11 to 1-9 winners over St Marys Sean Finns of Rathkeale.

The sides were dead-locked 1-5 each at half time.

The Rathkeale men had hit he front after a tight opening when Darren Jones goaled in the 26th minute. But up the field went Ballylanders to hit back with a goal of their own from Brian O’Connell

But in the second half, the winners had free-taker Kieran O’Callaghan in inspirational form. He ended with 0-9.

Their second goal came five minutes from the final whistle when Tom Lee goaled to seal the five point win for Ballylanders, who are coached by former Limerick senior football coach Ephie Fitzgerald.

The opening game of the six-match weekend schedule was the west Limerick clash of St Kierans and Ballysteen in Rathkeale.

Both won in the first round but it was St Kierans that maintained their form to secure a 0-10 to 0-6 win.

The winners were 0-3 to 0-1 ahead at half time.

They were helped to their four point win by five frees from Sean McSweeney.

Fr Caseys ensured back-to-back wins for coach Liam Kearns when defeating Adare 1-10 to 0-6.

The Abbeyfeale men had a goal after just 30-seconds when Pauric McEnery found the net for the ideal start. But they failed to build on this and by half time were just 1-3 to 0-3 ahead. But Adare were relying heavily on frees from Robbie Burke for scores.

In the second half, Fr Caseys pulled clear with John Riordan, Derry O’Connor and two each from Robert and Paudie Browne helped them to continue on their winning ways,

In round one Fr Caseys beat Newcastle West.

But Newcastle West bounced back this weekend with a most impressive 2-20 to 1-7 win over Galbally.

The winners were 2-7 to 1-3 clear at half time. But midway though that opening half they trailed 1-2 to 0-3 after Sean Kearney goaled for Galbally.

But the tide turned before half time with goals from Gavin Reidy and Thomas Quilligan helping Newcastle West to an eight point interval lead.

In the second half Newcastle West powered forward at their ease with a number of players racking up impressive scoring tallies.

They had inter-county panellists Stephen Kelly, Cian Sheehan and Jamie Lee in their attack and all impressed. Kelly ended with four points, Lee kicked five and Sheehan notched three points. Kieran Hickey and Vinny O’Connell tried to keep Galbally in touch but Newcastle West proved too hot on the night and kick-started their campaign.

On Sunday evening, St Patrick’s were 1-15 to 0-5 winners over Pallasgreen.

The city side led 1-10 to 0-3 at the break with Liam Quinn getting the winner’s goal midway through the half.

The big win came despite the absence of key forwards Eoin Hanrahan, John Mullane and Dermot Fitzgerald.