After sit-down protest St Patrick’s fight for justice continues

Jerome O’Connell


Jerome O’Connell

St Patricks club-man Hammy Dawson during his sit down protest in Clarina
THE saga of the Limerick City Junior A Hurling League could be set to rumble-on.

THE saga of the Limerick City Junior A Hurling League could be set to rumble-on.

Last weekend the plight of St Patrick’s received widespread coverage as club member Hammy Dawson staged a sit down protest in the middle of Clarina GAA field ahead of the final between Na Piarsiagh and Crecora-Manister.

Dawson protested for almost two hours until the arrival of four uniformed gardai just before 6.30. After a brief chat with the Gardai, Dawson left the field of his own accord, accompanied by his club chairman, Owen O’Shaughnessy. Dawson undertook the protest to highlight his club’s plight - they had to give a semi-final walkover the weekend previous when fixed to play Crecora-Manister in opposition the Munster football championship. In total eight St Patricks players were involved with Limerick teams.

Although the final has been played and Na Piarsaigh crowned champions, LeaderSport understands that St Patricks could be set to continue their quest for justice and bring a case to the County Hearings Committee.

Last Saturday morning the St Patrick’s sought a hearing from the City Board but this Tuesday night they received correspondence confirming this was refused.

There were efforts to resolve the saga last Friday when Limerick GAA chairman Oliver Mann and secretary Mike O’Riordan met with all parties - officers of Limerick City Board and representatives of St Patrick’s and Crecora-Manister.

A statement released before midnight last Friday, by the City Board, said that the discussions resulted in “Crecora agreeing to play St Patrick’s” that Saturday evening, June 7. The statement said that “the fixture was accepted by the St Patricks Club secretary”.

However, a second statement followed from the City Board after lunch-time on Saturday, confirming the original final fixture.

“St Patrick’s GAA club have confirmed to the City Board Secretary that they are not fulfilling the city Junior A Hurling League semi-final fixture as offered by the Crecora Club.”

It is understood that among the St Patrick’s objections to this last gasp re-fixture was the fact that they were due to play Limerick SFC on Sunday evening.

Therefore Na Piarsaigh and Crecora-Manister played the final, which despite the protest wasn’t delayed and Na Piarsaigh won 1-17 to 0-10.

This Monday afternoon Crecora-Maninster released a statement to LeaderSport.

“Crecora-Manister Club feel that the comments made in the media are completely unwarranted, we as a club understand that fixtures have to change sometimes and always try to accommodate other clubs. In this case we did everything possible to accommodate St Pat and now feel that the negative comments should stop,” read the statement.