Castletroy ensure two Limerick teams in Harty Cup quarter finals

Jerome O’Connell


Jerome O’Connell

Limerick club hurling championship up-date
LIMERICK will have two teams in January’s quarter finals of the Harty Cup.

LIMERICK will have two teams in January’s quarter finals of the Harty Cup.

This Wednesday Castletroy College confirmed their place in the January 14 quarter finals of the Munster Post Primary Schools senior A hurling championship.

Champions Ardscoil Ris play St Flannans of Ennis next Monday December 8 in Sixmilebridge. A win or a draw will be enough to see Ardscoil Ris into the last eight as runners-up to Thurles.

If Ardscoil Ris are beaten West Limerick Colleges would progress to the last eight.

It is a quarter-final line-up that will be dominated by four Cork schools with two from Limerick and two from Tipperary.

In the quarter final draw the group winners will be paired against a runner up meaning there is a one in three chance of an All-Limerick quarter-final

Castletroy College 2-9

St Colmans Fermoy 0-13

CASTLETROY College found a goal in either half to secure their passage into the quarter-final of the Harty Cup.

Despite hitting 14-wides the Limerick city side got the win they needed to finish as group winners by virtue of their win over Cork’s Gaelcholaiste Mhuire in a previous round.

They trailed 0-9 to 1-5 at half time and looked below par at times.

Mark O’Dwyer (2 frees) and Barry Nash (2) were on target in the early minutes as already the game looked destined to go all the way to the final whistle with the sides dead-locked 0-4 each after 10-minutes.

Then in the 11th minute Conor Nicholas punished some hesitant defending to sweep the sliothar to the net.

But the Fermoy side then thundered into the contest and held Castletroy to just one points in the final 19-minutes of the half - from Andrew La Touche Cosgrave in the 17th minute.

But while dominating Fermoy were reliant on free-taker Stephen Condon.

Castletroy looked a more focused outfit from the start of the second half.

Mark O’Dywer was now in midfield and gained an upperhand along with Lorcan Lyons. In the half back line La Touche Cosgrave and David Garry were on top.

They got the perfect tonic in the first minute of the new half when Barry Nash picked up possession 21-metres out and headed goalwards before firing back across the goal from the left for a defining goal.

O’Dwyer (free) and La Touche Cosgrave added points and all of a sudden they were 2-7 to 0-9 clear.

But again the Fermoy response was impressive.

But ultimately they failed to score from play in the half with Condon frees accounting for all their four second half points.

Sub Aaron Kennedy settled Castletroy nerves midway through the half with a point to leave it 2-8 to 0-12.

Then with five minutes to play a Condon free reduced the lead to just a point. A draw would have eliminated Castletroy and sent Fermoy through but the city side held on.

Lorcan Lyons sealed the win with a last minute long range free.

West Limerick Colleges 6-11

Blackwater 1-14

IN the unlikely event that the city school fail to beat St Flannan’s on Monday, West Limerick will progress, thanks to a star showing from Seamus Flanagan.

The Limerick minor scored an incredible 5-4, outscoring the whole Blackwater CS team.

The margin of victory could have been more as West Limerick raced to a 1-3 to no score lead after just four minutes.

Three goals in three minutes midway through the half put the game beyond doubt as Flanagan’s hat trick strike made it 4-3 to 0-3 after Denis Donegan also netted.

Leading 4-8 to 0-7 at the break, the second half was just about keeping the lead at or above 12.

They managed it – just about – despite hitting 17 wides throughout the hour.

The Waterford score ended the game with 14 men as two of their players suffered nasty injuries and they only had one sub to come on.

West Limerick will have to wait until Monday to find out if they are into the quarter-finals, which take place in January.

Doon 1-13

Gaelcholaiste Mhuire 1-15

LAST season’s beaten finalists Doon’s Scoil na Troinoide Naofa have failed to advance beyond the group stages.

The east Limerick side needed to win this final round game in Mallow to advance to the quarter final but fell short.

They trailed 1-5 to 0-6 at half time.

With three minutes to play Doon were level 1-12 to 1-12

But the Cork city side scored the final three points to advance to the last eight.

There was a late chance for a Doon goal but the shot somehow crashed off the goalkeeper and over the bar.

The Doon goal came early in the second half from Barry Murphy. Murphy and Colin Ryan shared the free-taking duties and accounted for the majority of their scores.