Limerick SFC weekend round-up

Jerome O’Connell


Jerome O’Connell

Limerick SFC round-up
CHAMPIONS Ballylanders added momentum to their Limerick SFC title defence with this Sunday evening’s victory over St Patricks.

CHAMPIONS Ballylanders added momentum to their Limerick SFC title defence with this Sunday evening’s victory over St Patricks.

In a repeat of the 2014 county final, Ballylanders were 0-13 to 0-10 winners in Bruff.

Four Kieran O’Callaghan frees helped them to a 0-7 to 0-2 half time lead.

O’Callaghan (2frees) and two Eoin Walsh points had them 0-11 to 0-5 ahead with 10-minutes to play.

But then came a late St Patricks rally with John Mullane and Eoin Hanrahan kicking five successive frees between them.

That left it 0-11 to 0-10.

But Tom Lee and Eoin Walsh found injury time points to ease Ballylanders nerves.

Elsewhere in Group One, Monaleen had their first win when beating Pallasgreen 1-13 to 1-5 in Caherconlish.

The winners were 1-7 to 0-1 ahead at half time. Their goal came in the ninth minute from Ger Collins - with Brian O’Donovan and Graham O’Connell were also prominent among the scores in that opening half.

Seamus Mulcahy had Pallasgreen’s first score from play in the eighth minute of the second half.

Monaleen were 1-10 to 0-2 clear when Mulcahy had the Pallasgreen goal in the 44th minute. His penalty was saved by O’Sullivan but he fired home the rebound.

Dromcollogher-Broadford made it two wins from three with a 1-17 to 1-10 win over Rathkeale.

But they had to battle back in the final quarter for the win with a late Pat Donnelly goal easing them over the line.

Rathkeale were 1-6 to 0-5 up at half time in Knockaderry with Eoghan O’Connor getting their goal in the first minute.

But Drom-Broadford weere 0-5 to 1-1 up after 13-minutes with Killian Phair leading the way.

Points from O’Connor, Mikey Morrissey and Sean Sheahan ensured the half time lead for the men in blue.

But bit by bit Drom-Broadford fought back and in the 47th minute the lead were level 0-11 to 1-8.

Sub Derry McCarthy and Phair had points to put the former champions ahead and then came the Donnelly goal to ensure the victory.

In Group Two, Newcastle West and Ballysteen have maintained their 100% starts.

The duo both have three wins from three and have one foot in the knockout stages from Group Two with two rounds of action to be completed in August.

Newcastle West left it late to secure a 1-10 to 1-8 win over St Kierans in Dromcollogher on Friday evening..

Four second half points from Stephen Kelly swung the contest in favour of Newcastle West.

St Kierans got the tonic start with a Brian Crowley goal inside the first minute helping them towards a 1-5 to 0-2 lead after 20-minutes with Donal Nolan kicking two fine points.

But eight minutes before half time Jamie Lee had Newcastle West goal to leave it 1-5 to 1-3 in favour of St Kierans at half time.

Anthony Molyneaux (free) increased the lead on the restart but midway though the second half Newcastle West were 1-7 to 1-6 ahead with Kelly leading the way.

Nolan equalised for St Kierans but two points for Kelly had Newcastle West in the driving seat entering the final 10-minutes.

St Kierans could only find a Ray Cahill point and Newcastle West held for victory.

Ballysten’s winning run was a little more straight forward to extend.

Danny Neville was Ballysteen’s top scorer with 0-6 as Ballysteen eased to a 1-14 to 0-05 points win over Adare at the Bog Garden in Rathkeale on Saturday evening.

Wind assisted in the first half, Ballysteen opened a six point lead inside the first 17 minutes and led by eight points at the break, 1-7 to 0-2.

The Adare comeback never materialised in the second half as a disciplined Ballysteen defence protected their lead and kept Adare’s scoring changes to a minimum. Adare are now the only side in the championship without a win after three games.

Na Piarsaigh got their first win of the championship with a 0-12 to 1-8 win over Fr Caseys in Kilmallock.

And it was dramatic. The Caherdavin men looked set for victory until a John Riordan goal levelled the game in the last minute. But up stepped sub Padraic Kennedy to kick the winning point for the city side.

They had led 0-7 to 0-3 at half time with Aaron Costelloe, David Dempsey and Brian Shannon among the scores.

Robert Browne helped Fr Caseys cut the lead on the change of ends but further Dempsey and Shannon points looked to have secured the win until the late drama.

Limerick SFC Results

Ballylanders 0-13 St Patricks 0-10

Dromcollogher-Broadford 1-17 Rathkeale 1-10

Monaleen 1-13 Pallasgreen 1-5

Na Piarsaigh 0-12 Fr Caseys 1-8

Newcastle West 1-10 St Kierans 1-8

Ballysteen 1-14 Adare 0-5

Limerick IFC Results

Galbally 4-9 Athea 0-9

Bruff 3-6 Castlemahon 1-11

Claughaun 1-10 Mountcollins 1-7

Mungret 0-9 Glin 0-8

Oola 2-13 Cappamore 3-9

St Senans 6-21 Hospital-Herbertstown 0-8