Round-up of weekend’s Limerick SHC action

Jerome O’Connell


Jerome O’Connell

Doon's Cathal McNamara clears his lines as Jack Kelleher and James Mann, Patrickswell challenge
NA Piarsaigh and Doon continue to lead the way with unbeaten records after three rounds of action in the Limerick SHC.

NA Piarsaigh and Doon continue to lead the way with unbeaten records after three rounds of action in the Limerick SHC.

Champions Na Piarsaigh remain unbeaten but had to withstand a stern test from Effin to make it three wins on the trot, 2-17 to 2-10.

The Limerick and Munster club champions needed a late David Dempsey goal to finally put some daylight between the teams in Bruff on Saturday evening.

The win all but guarantees Na Piarsaigh a place in the knockout stages with two rounds of group action still to be played.

The champions led 1-6 to 1-4 at half time. Their first goal came from Kevin Downes, while Tommy Quaid was on the mark for Effin.

Na Piarsaigh led the lead throughout the second half until Quaid goaled to leave it 2-9 to 1-13 with just seven minutes to play. But Dempsey goaled and Dowling added points to seal their win.

Another unbeaten side are Doon.

They were 0-21 to 3-11 winners over Patrickswell in the Gaelic Grounds. Doon were 0-11 to 1-3 up at half time. They had pointed frees from Cathal McNamara and Micheal Ryan while Ger McPartland and Niall Maher also found the range from distance in an impressive half in which Patrickswell scored a lucky goal in the 11th minute.

Doon appeared to be coasting to the win when eight points clear with five minutes to play. But in injury time Patrickswell found two goals - the first from Cian Lynch and the second from a 21 metre free from Diarmuid Byrnes. But Doon survived to make it a hat-trick of wins.

Also in the Gaelic Grounds Ahane were 1-17 to 0-15 winners over Murroe-Boher.

The sides were level on seven occasions in the first half, after which Murroe-Boher led 0-11 to 0-9.

It was a shootout between free-takers Sean Tobin and Niall Moran for long periods in that first 30 minutes. But Murroe-Boher finished the stronger with Tobin, Dylan Sheehan and Seamus Hickey among the scores to ensure a two points half time lead.

Midway through the second half they were three points clear when 0-14 to 0-11 ahead.

But they only scored one point in the final 17 minutes as Ahane took control. They were helped by a 51st minute goal from Richie Ryan. Tom Morrissey, Michael Carr and Paul O’Halloran all fired over late points to seal the victory.

Granagh-Ballingarry got their first win of the campaign on Friday evening with a 1-18 to 2-13 win over South Liberties.

They were set on their way with a first minutes Niall Kennedy goal. But Ciaran Carbery hit back with a South Liberties goal to leave it 1-7 to 1-3 midway through the first half. Denis O’Connor frees stretched the Granagh-Ballingarry lead until William Hickey goaled for South Liberties to leave it 1-11 to 2-3 at half time.

The advantage was cut to 1-13 to 2-9 entering the final quarter but the west Limerick side held on for victory.

Adare were big 3-22 to 1-14 winners over Knockainey. They led 1-9 to 0-7 at the break with Willie Griffin goaling. Griffin and Lucas O’Brien had second half goals as they went 3-13 to 0-12 clear. Padraic Barron goaled for Knockainey but Adare finished strongly to secure victory.

On Sunday evening, Kilmallock made it two wins from three starts with a 0-23 to 0-13 win over Ballybrown in Newcastle West.

Ger O’Loughlin’s side led 0-12 to 0-10 at half time.