UPDATE: Kitten rescued by Limerick firefighters dies from smoke inhalation

UPDATE: Kitten rescued by Limerick firefighters dies from smoke inhalation

Sparky the kitten

A KITTEN bravely rescued by Limerick Fire and Rescue has died from smoke inhalation.

Firefighters found the kitten after searching every nook and cranny during a blaze at a derelict house. They received a call-out to a property in Johnsgate Villas in the city at 5pm on Friday afternoon. Four appliances rushed to the scene.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the building and quickly put out the fire. They conducted a thorough search and found a little kitten. They called it Sparky.

Social media posts by Limerick Rescue and Service received hundreds of likes and comments.

Sparky was said to be recovering well in the expert care of Limerick Animal Welfare. However, the kitten then began to be affected by smoke inhalation. Sparky was put on oxygen for 24 hours.

This Sunday, Limerick Animal Welfare wrote on its Facebook page: "Despite the vet's best efforts, care and dedication sadly Sparky has passed away. Thank you to all who donated to his care."

More News

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.