Limerick man jailed for 'glassing' student during house party

David Hurley


David Hurley


Limerick man jailed for 'glassing' student during house party

John Lysaght was jailed for 18 months

A MAN who ‘glassed’ a young student after a row broke out at a house party on the northside of Limerick city has been jailed for 18 months.

John Lysaght, aged 28, who has an address in Prospect, had pleaded guilty to two charges relating to an incident at Thomond Student Village, Old Cratloe Road in the early hours of January 8, 2014.

Garda Shaun O’Hagan told Limerick Circuit Court the defendant was one of a number of young men who arrived at the house party despite not having been invited. He said a considerable amount of alcohol was consumed and that sometime during the night a dispute erupted over some money which went missing.

He said Mr Lysaght and his associates “took umbrage” at the suggestion that one of them had taken a sum of money resulting in a standoff taking place.

A fight then broke out at the apartment resulting in two other young men sustaining injuries.

One of the victims, whose now aged 25, sustained facial injuries after he was struck twice by Mr Lysaght with a beer bottle he had smashed off a wall.

John O’Sullivan BL, prosecuting, said the victim, who is now working in Australia, sustained multiple lacerations to his face and scalp but that he has made a good recovery.

Shane O’Callaghan BL, said his client, who has a number of previous convictions, has not been in trouble since the incident as he has avoided associating with certain people.

The barrister the father of two young children is in a stable relationship, had secured part-time employment and had paid €5,000 in compensation to the victim.

Imposing sentence, Judge Tom O’Donnell said the defendant’s previous convictions were a concern as they show a propensity for violence. A further aggravating factor, he said, was that the offence occurred during the currency of a suspended sentence.

He accepted Mr Lysaght has turned his life around and is a “more mature person now” but added that he had to  impose a custodial sentence.

He sentenced him to three years’ imprisonment, suspending the final 18 months.

Two other young men have already been prosecuted and sentenced in relation to the same incident.