Limerick man faces trial for raping teenager over three year period

David Hurley


David Hurley


Limerick man faces trial for raping teenager over three year period

Limerick Courthouse, Mulgrave Street

A LIMERICK man was granted bail after he appeared in court accused of raping and sexually assaulting a teenage girl over a three year period.

The 64-year-old accused, who has an address in the city centre, was brought before Limerick District Court after he was charged with multiple offences which are alleged to have happened on various dates in the mid-1990s.

Judge Marian O’Leary was told the defendant, who is not currently working, did not make any reply as each of the 34 charges were put to him by detectives at Roxboro Road garda station following his arrest last week.

Such is the number of charges, it took almost 15 minutes for two detectives to give evidence of arrest, charge and caution in relation to the charges.

All of the charges relate to the same alleged victim while the offences are alleged to have happened at a number of different addresses in the Southill area of the city.

A number of the charges outline in graphic detail what the man is alleged to have done to the young girl.

Inspector Paul Reidy confirmed a file had been prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions in relation to the matter and that the case is to proceed on indictment before the Central Criminal Court.

The defendant was assigned free legal aid and there was no garda objection to a bail application which was made by solicitor Sarah Ryan.

A number of conditions were imposed as a condition of the man’s bail.

He must live at his home address and “sign on” at his local garda station three times a week.

He was ordered not to have any contact with the alleged injured party, who is now aged in her mid-thirties.

Judge O’Leary also directed that the defendant surrender his passport to gardai and that he not leave the jurisdiction as a condition of his bail.

Noting that directions had been received from the DPP, the judge agreed to adjourn the matter to the end of February to facilitate the preparation of a book of evidence.

Given the nature of the charges, reporting restrictions were imposed prohibiting the identification, in the media or elsewhere, of either the accused man or the complainant.

The defendant only spoke during the brief hearing to confirm his signature on the bail bond. While the matter may be sent forward for trial early next year it could be 2020 before any trial is heard.